Thursday, January 23, 2014

Christmas Confession

     Before I leave Christmas behind...I have to make a confession. I have a sickness...an obsession if you will. I am a sucker for Christmasy treats and snacks. Let me explain.
    
     Do I EVER buy a big bag of M&M's during the year? Nope. (Well maybe some pretzel M&M's if I'm going on a road trip or something). But make those M&M's in red and green and they just jump into my cart. Make Wheat Thins or pretzels in holiday shapes and I have to have them! It isn't just once or twice and it isn't just the specialty treats that are only available once a year (like Mint M&M's -- although I bought plenty of those too) -- it happens every time I walk in a store. I can't help myself! At the time I buy each one it seems natural. Yes, we need some red & green Hershey Kisses (3 kinds). Next trip, I think we could use some holiday Reese's Pnut Butter Cups. A few days later, red & green M&M's in all the possible varieties? Gotta have 'em! It is like the Christmas packaging hypnotizes me.

     What is the driving force behind this obsession???? Is it tradition? We always had Christmas M&M's in a cute snowman jar in my home as a child. Is it the fact that I have 4 adorable Christmas candy dishes and they, of course, all need to be full? Is it the fear that haunts me all December that there won't be enough "stuff" in the stockings Christmas morning? Is it the feeling of entitlement that I have around the holidays -- the entitlement to eat whatever I want from December 1st to January 1st (isn't that horrible!!!)? I think it is a little of all of these. Well whatever it is, I am acknowledging my issue and I will try to do better next year. Now you know my dirty little secret. Am I alone? Or are there other Christmas Candy freaks out there?

P.S. We did NOT like the Red & Green Gingerbread Flavored M&M's. Looks can be deceiving.

P.S.S. I have to add to my confession that I really don't eat that many of them. A small handful after a meal or a Hershey Kiss or two before bed and I am content. But that is another problem...they linger for a long time because I regulate them so tightly.

P.S.S.S. Some how I don't have the same issue with Easter, Halloween, or Valentine's candy (thankfully!). I may buy a little, but it doesn't take control of me in the same way. Weird.

P.S.S.S.S. I do go a teensy bit overboard on stocking up on after-Christmas candy too. Who can say no to half price red, green & silver Nestle Christmas Bells? I may need therapy.


2 comments:

Eric said...

Umm.....I don't see a problem here.

Rachael said...

I am totally the same about Christmas candy! I just ate my last bites of stocking candy yesterday. I wonder if I will have withdrawals? The only improvement I've made in recent years is that Ismael and I share a stocking, so we don't eat as much candy as the kids. I haven't gotten into buying candy in after-Christmas sales though.