For Samson it was cutting his hair...for Achilles it was his heel...for Superman it was Kryptonite...for Colby it is his socks.
I have found a "weak spot" in Colby's super-human abilities; abilities that include mischief-making of various kinds not the least of which is his ability to open childproof locks and climb to amazing heights unaided by chairs or stools. Colby has learned how to scale the cabinets like Spiderman and loves to stand on the countertop and go through the high cabinets -- where I keep the "adults only" items like medicine, candy, breakable dishes and such. My 7 year old just learned how to climb onto the counters, a fact I am not happy about but I can deal with because he is seven and understands what is okay and not okay to touch -- and he can be effectively disciplined if need be. Not so,with 2 year old Colby -- he knows no bounds.
Anyway, I discovered that when Colby has socks on he is unable to climb up on the counters. He just can't get the traction he needs to scale them (he really does it like a spider with his hands on the rim and his feet flat against the cabinet face). It was kind of funny to watch him try it...his feet just kept sliding down -- he was perplexed and frustrated. Where had his super powers gone? But the best part of it all is that our little Houdini -- the one who can pick the fridge lock and the door locks CAN NOT take his own socks off!!!! It is so funny to me.
So I plan to put the child in socks from now until...well until he' s seven I guess.
3 comments:
I can just picture you sitting back and laughing (inwardly, of course) at the poor, frustrated little boy. :) Take your victories where you can!
I love the details about Achilles having his heal and Colby having his sock weakness. I am glad that Camille has no climbing abilities. I don't know how I would manage a handful like Colby.
I might be in trouble-Will already can take off his socks, mostly to chew on them. He just turned 1 and climbs the couch and falls over the back!, the bookshelves, and the oven! He grabs the bar, and uses the shelf below to hang on the oven door. I feel your pain, but am grateful you found a way to stop him.
Post a Comment