Tuesday, November 18, 2008

These Is My Words

This is a picture of me with Nancy Turner, the author of one of my all time favorite books These Is My Words. This was such a neat experience to have an author come to one of our Book Club meetings. In trying to discribe how this whole thing came about, I honestly don't know. Some conversation we had at Book Club over the summer led me to Nancy Turners website. I saw on her list of appearances that she had done some Book Club visits. I sent her an email (on the outside chance that she would actually reply) and asked if she would be willing to come to our meeting. She is a Tucson native, so it wasn't like I was asking her to come cross country. She replied back almost immediately and it took a few months to work out the details but here she is!
She was so nice, and gracious and warm. She was a great storyteller (as you can imagine). She told us her life story. The story of writing the book and answered any questions we had. I used to aspire to be an author, so it was especially meaningful to me.
She was kind enough to sign all our books as well. So the big question I had for her, is "How much of this is real?" The story is based on the life of her great-grandmother Sarah Prine. Well, I was a bit disappointed to learn that it is rather LOOSELY based. Sarah Prine never kept a diary, but her brother did as they made the first trek to Texas, so some of the early events are based on that. Other things, details were taken from family stories/oral history or even just watching the way her own grandmother cooked or taught her to jump off a horse while carrying a shot gun -- things she had learned from HER mother (Sarah Prine). But really she didn't know much at all about her great-grandmother so most of it was made up. The historical facts -- Indian raids, droughts, geography and such are accurate and well researched. So although I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't more "true" it makes it all the more amazing that Nancy Turner was able to create such a believeable and engaging story that draws you in and won't let go.
On a final note, I highly recommend this book, it is one of the few books that I can recommend without hesitation to anyone.
Now for my next conquest....getting Stephenie Meyer to come to my Book Club.....

9 comments:

Abby Gail said...

That's awesome Heather. How fun to have an author at your book club! Oh...and let me know if you get Stephanie Meyer to come. I'll buy a plane ticket and show up to your book club. ;) This reminds me that I need to go to the Library.

Brian and Janette said...

What can I say? I'm totally jealous! But...I can't be to disappointed because you did extend an invitation. Wish I lived closer! (We'll be back in January.)
Anyway, love the books and the author. So glad you had that awesome experience...and thanks for blogging about it.

Wendy said...

That's really cool!!! Good luck with Stephanie Meyers.

Heather C. said...

I know that Stephanie Meyers is a long shot (I was mostly joking) but a former member of our book club -- who we still keep in touch with -- is now in Stephanie's ward or something and they are good friends (and was even mentioned in her "thanks" page in her last book). So there is a slim, slim chance....right?

Heather C. said...

Oh, I spelled Stephenie's name wrong. Apologies to all the die hard fans!! (no "A", 3 "E"'s)

Kristen said...

Wow. I've not read her book yet, but I've heard really good things. That's amazing. What a cool opportunity.

jess said...

what a fun night! I wish I could have been there too, so thanks for sharing. Bummer about the less than true part, but like you said, the story is still so great.

Rachael said...

I thought everyone hated Meyer now because of her last book? Well maybe she'll be more available now. Are you excited for the movie coming out. I guess I won't have to read the books now. :)

Day Family Blog said...

OK good I am glad that wasn't you in the blue shirt cuz I thought oh no Hea looks prego. Don't worry you look good.