Monday, March 2, 2009

Favorite Read Alouds

I am looking for some ideas of good books to read aloud to kids. I'm looking specifically for chapter books to read to my 6 year old daughter and almost 9 year old son. Colby (3) and Sadie (2) will hopefully be in bed :)

I've been such a slacker lately about reading to my kids, but I am determined to change that and wanted some ideas of books that you have read aloud to or with your kids that have gone over well. Someone suggested the Great Brain books (I think that was Jess) and I just put that on hold at the library. I was thinking about Charlotte's Web or Stuart Little. I want to hear all your ideas.

I just LOVE reading and have decided that try and beg as I might, my kids may never pick up and read the books I loved, but I think if they get to stay up later to hear Mommy read it, they just might give it a chance.

9 comments:

jess said...

we do love the Great Brain. Also, the Mouse and the MOtorcycle. Ryan just read the first Harry Potter to the kids too. The only problem with that is they really want to keep going, find out the whole story. I'm not willing to let them read past book 3 until they are a bit older. It seems like starting at #4, it gets too intense for their ages now. They loved that first one though.

Brian and Janette said...

Of course Harry Potter and I would add Fablehaven. Great Brain is great, but it may be for older children, like 4th grade or so. "Where the Red Fern Grows" is a must...any age can identify with that. And, this may show just how country I am, but the "Hank the Cowdog" series are a lot of fun too. They are funny and enjoyable to read for adults. My mom used to read them with my brother and me. Of course, we all are country folk, and that may have had something to do with us enjoying them. But try it out, you may like it!

Rachael said...

I think Mom has a copy of The Great Brain on those shelves in the small bedroom if you don't want to wait for the library copy. Come to think of it, if you go browse that shelf of hers you'll find a lot of our old favorites and some good new ones too. I always borrow some when I come to stay. Sienna's been enjoying the Beverly Cleary books lately, and I'd forgotten how many of them there are! (With both girl and boy lead characters and tons of humor.) I've also recently come to terms with the idea that she will not read every book I ever read. How could she, when there are so many newer books that she is reading too? Oh well, some of the new ones are great too!

Wendy said...

The Box Car Children are always great, Mouse & the Motor Cycle, Taylor was reading me Harry the Poisonous Centipede and loved it! Miss Piggle Wiggle is also a fun one.

Anonymous said...

We read Harry Poter too. The only other book we have done was a Goosebumps book. We got it in a White Elephant Exchange, but the kids seemed to enjoy it.

Mark Jill Derek Madilyn Cameron said...

I remember loving the boxcar children and I agree that Fablehaven is really good. I have started to read Harry Potter to Derek. I think Artimus Foul would work to.

Debbie Lawrence said...

The Chronicles of Narnia series would be GREAT books to read to that age I think. I always remembered liking "The Island of Blue Dolphins" when I was about Mason's age. Another fun series that I think they would really enjoy is the "Far-Flung Adventures" (there are three of them) they are really cute and fun, and I think you would enjoy reading them too.

Erin said...

I have never even heard of "The Great Brain". I will have to check that one out at the library!

In addition to what has already been posted, we have really enjoyed "The Sisters Grimm" series. Even Kyle liked those books.

We also like to listen to books on CD. We listen to them in the car because we live 20 minutes from just about everything except school. We also like to all get on my bed on a cold night, turn off the lights, and listen to something on CD. It holds Braedon and even Cameron's attention because they usually do voices. I can't do voices! ;) It is important to learn to love to read of course, but that is also something that we have enjoyed doing together. I just thought I would share that.

jenny said...

would they like the hobbit? the secret garden. beverly cleary books. you are so good to read to them at night. :)