Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Raindrops on Roses...

As the song says, "When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad. I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel......so bad!" So lets see if this works.

I love my children. Of course, that is obvious...but I mean that lately I have FIERCELY loved my children. Like I just want to squeeze them and I miss them at odd times. Weird.

Having my husband around 24/7 has not been nearly as bad as I thought it would be ;) I've had to surrender some of my computer time but it is awesome to go to the grocery store, in the middle of the afternoon, with NO kids! If you have kids, you know how thrilling that is. And I have done less dishes lately too. Thanks sweetie!

My oven broke, but wait...Eric was able to fix it for only $35 and 15 min. of labor.

The weather has been simply marvelous.

We have our first pet(s) ever in our home. Two fish. Oh wait, I am anti-pet so that would NOT be a happy thing. But so far Mason & Eric are doing all the pet care, so I guess that could be a happy thing. Bets on how long that will last?

I've picked up an old hobby that I haven't done in years: cross stitch. I find it very calming and therapeutic (unless of course you get a big knot in your thread, then the calming factor flies out the window).

I've become a compulsive ad watching/coupon crazy shopper. It takes time but with some help from a few websites, it can really pay off. Some of my best deals lately: BIG box of Kellogg's cereal for 67cents, sour cream for free, and a weeks worth of groceries for a family of 6 for $44 (of course I am relying on food storage too). Saving money makes me smile!

My 6 year old daughter finally learned to ride a 2 wheeler. Finally. I was about to collapse from running up and down the street with her.

My 2 year old daughter used the potty. Once. But it still made me happy. The end of diapers is in sight...still far, far, far in the distance...but in sight!

I am riding my exercise bike FAITHFULLY 20 minutes/5 miles a day. This may not seem like much (and I really haven't seen any "results" to speak of) but for me this is a huge deal. This is probably my first consistent exercise program since the "Fitness for Living" class I was required to take in college. Seriously. That makes me happy.

Okay. That's enough. I am smiling now and that was the whole point. Hope you are too :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm smiling. Thank you Heather. I can relate to a lot of those things. So what kind of fish did you get? We had some Beta fish that lived for 2 years.

Mom said...

Heather, you are awesome...able to look at the bright side of things. Another reference to that great attitude is the hymn words, "Count your many blessings..." Listening to conference really makes you realize how blessed we are too. Last night at Colby's soccer was hillarious, and a great way to burn off some stress! Let us know how we can help without taking away your independence and self-reliance. We love you. MOM and DAD

Nomi said...

A great list of your blessings, Heather! Your friendship is a blessing to me. Thanks for making me smile today and remember my blessings, too. :)

Beth said...

Wow that sounds great! I too have enjoyed (is that the right word? :) ) having the husband home and it isn't AS bad as I thought it would be. Your Welcome for the fish! ;) Haha, we needed SOMEONE to take them off our hands and Eric was very willing.
And those grocery deals are amazing! Way to be frugal.

Day Family Blog said...

It is good to remember those things especially during hard time. I am impressed with how well you are handling the stress. I lost the paper with the questions you wanted me to ask Brad, I remember the 401 K question, but not the other. Oh and by the way I never told you thank you for your nice card. It feels great to be loved!

Wendy said...

Staying positive is never easy when things are tough. You are amazing to stop and list the things you are greatful for. I must say being able to run errands without kids in the middle of the day sounds heavenly.

Debbie Lawrence said...

You are so great Heather! What a great reminder to try and think of the good things in life instead of the bad. I hope things start to look up for you guys.

jeannie said...

OH that stinks about Erics job but he is an awesome guy and he will find something hopefully sooner then later!
I love your list and keep being positive!
TO answer your question the Heaps are moving to North Phoenix Matt got a job with his old company because his business here wasn't doing well. So that stinks but I'm glad he will have a job. You know you gotta do what you gotta do right!!

Andrea said...

Maybe there is something in the air, because I'm "fiercely" (that's a great way to put it) lovin' my kiddos lately too! Thanks for the smiles - I guess blogging is quite therapeutic, so between cross stitching and blogging you've got it made!!