Friday, August 21, 2009

Job Offers

Eric got a job offer!!
And so did I!
in the same day
Isn't that crazy!?!
After months of searching, praying, searching, networking, searching, and even at times -- despairing, we both got job offers on the same day, what are the chances?!
Well here is the story. (It isn't short).

Eric has been looking for jobs on campus.
He is doing school full time and so he was just looking for a part-time job. You wouldn't think it would be that hard. But it has been. There just aren't many jobs out there right now. He finally had an interview lined up for Friday (today). It was for a job as a BAKER for the BYU-I Food Services.


Meanwhile, I was at the Elementary School on Wednesday registering my kids. I was asking the secretary about substituting jobs, etc. The principal overheard me talking and came out. After talking about my background and experience for a minute, he said that he would love to interview me for a few different Classroom Aide positions on campus.


I didn't know what to say. I wasn't really looking for a job.


So I told him I'd call him. He said he was interviewing the NEXT day so I had to decide fast. I went home and talked to Eric. We decided that I should go ahead and try for it. It was only 15 hrs. a week and paid slightly better than the on-campus jobs he could get. Besides, his classes are all at night this semester and this is a morning job so he could watch the kids (we wouldn't have to use a babysitter). So I called and set up an interview for the next afternoon and then spent hours trying to create a resume & fill out an application. It had been 11 years since I'd looked for a job!
The interview seemed to go okay.
SIDE STORY: The only question I couldn't answer was "What is your biggest fault as a teacher?" I was stumped! Not that I couldn't think of any faults, but they weren't the kind I could admit: control-freak, have a hard time being on time, can lose patience with the kids, think I'm always right...not things you can say in an interview. In retrospect I thought of some good ones: procrastinator or clutter collector would have been fine but I was like a deer in headlights. Oh well.
Anyway, back to the story.


So Eric had his interview today. It went really well. They said they really wanted to have him, but he said he needed to discuss with his wife. I still hadn't heard about my job interview. I was getting kind of excited at the thought of working in the classroom again, but the hours for his job & my job were exactly the same. We didn't want to send the kids to a sitter (neither of the jobs pay enough to be worth that either!), and I really didn't have an offer yet either. So when they called about an hour later with a solid offer, he said yes, on condition that they could give him at least 20 hrs. a week (the original job was only for 15). The agreed and Eric took the job. Yea!! I could tell that Eric was really excited about doing this. I don't know that the idea of being a "baker" is really that appealing to him but I think he is just eager to be working again. It's not good for the ego or manhood to be sitting at home all day for too long. Also, he really liked the people he interviewed with... and he does like to bake cookies at home sometimes.


No more than an hour later, the principal from the Elementary School called to offer me a job. It was with a heavy heart that I said, NO. I explained the situation and he was really understanding. I think we made the right decision. All in all, I am very happy to still be able to be at home with the kids and I think Eric will be happier having a job, at last.
So it truly is a happy ending.
SIDENOTE: Now, if only the money were better. Eric will make in a month about half of what he used to make in a week. But I guess it's not about the money, it's about work ethic, being a provider, getting your foot in the door, networking...or something, right?
As for survival, that is where Pell Grants, student loans & proceeds from the sale of our house come in.
The Lord seems to bless us how & when we need it.

11 comments:

Brian and Janette said...

So, I would not be surprised one bit if the Cameron's got asked to do a CES fireside (or something of the sort) someday on faith and trusting in the Lord. Your continued blessings are a testament to the way you live your lives! "The windows of heaven" are open in your behalf. I'm so happy for you guys!

Cheryl said...

That is awesome about the jobs! I am glad that things are working out so well for you guys!

Wendy said...

It's always so nice to have options! I'm glad things worked out!

Rachael said...

Wow, that's amazing! Hard to pass up that school job though. . . that's the kind of job I keep thinking of doing if I have to go back to work. But it is sure easier on everyone when mom is at home, so I keep putting it off. I think you made the right decision for now. Maybe next year, after Colby's in school, and after you can find out if there's a good babysitter in the area, or Eric's schedule changes. . .

The Willies said...

I think the Baking Job sounds Great, but I'm a little Biased. Congrats!

Rochelle Brunson said...

Congrats on the job. I'm sorry you had to turn yours down, but at least you know that you COULD work if needed.

Day Family Blog said...

When it rains it pours. I am glad that he got a job and I bet he can score cookies to take home every now and again. Being a teacher's aide I think it sounds like the best job besides what Mom does. I was at a teacher store today picking out a calendar for preschool and I totally thought man I would love to do all the cutsie stuff related to school again. I love making copies and laminating and "boring" stuff like that.

Anyway I think you made the right choice, but I bet it was hard to say no. Oh yeah this is a long epistle, but I still wanted to comment on how strange it is that we never seem to be able to talk anymore. Maybe once Eric has a job and the kids are in school we can talk during nap time again. I miss talking to you. Sorry I was rude last time, but I was babysitting and breastfeeding when you called and the mom came to pick them up right then. Anyway I guess we will talk next week. Love, Long Winded Nellie

Darren and Lisa said...

That is wonderful Heather! We are so happy for you all. How is that Rexburg weather treating you?

jenny said...

yay for eric! we'll expect some fresh baked cookies when we come visit! :)

Jessica Reid said...

Good for both of you! It's so great that you get to stay home with the kids. Neither you nor your kids will regret that. You are really great at keeping perspective (good fatih trait). I want to emulate you.

Sarah said...

That is great. It sounds like things are going well in Idaho. I am a little jealous.