So here is Colby BEFORE: (I will have to admit that I LOVED Colby's hair. It was a bit shaggy (thus the need for a trim) but I really like the style. I liked it long and "surfer" style (those were Eric's words). So I told her just to trim it up a bit over the ears, cut the back park with the trimmers, and take about an inch off all over. I also asked her to blend the line in a bit so it wasn't such a distinct line.
And AFTER: This is what I got. It is soooooooo short. He looks like a different person. Who is this kid? He looks nice, I know...but it isn't Colby. He looks so grown-up. I almost cried. I still get verklempt just looking at this picture. During the haircut things were going great, then I looked away for a second and when I looked back...there was a huge chunk missing on the side. She spent the rest of the time trying to even it out and it kept getting shorter and shorter. The teacher even asked her, "Why the weird line?" The teacher was able to even it out, but it got very short in the process.
Well apparently I didn't learn my lesson because 2 hours later Renae had a hair appt. at the same place and we still went. But I figured, how hard can it be to just take a few inches off her long, straight hair. I've been doing it myself for years. We were considering doing the "locks for love" where they cut 10 inches off your hair and use it for cancer patients. But as they showed us what 10 inches off her hair would look like, Renae decided, no...she didn't want it that short. She showed the hairstylist how short she wanted it..."an inch below her collar bone" or " even with her armpits" was another way she said it. She repeated it back to us....she showed her teacher what the plan was. Everything seemed good.
Here is the BEFORE: And AFTER: But this is what we got. I know, I know...it is VERY cute. And both Renae and I really do like it. But this is NO WHERE near her arm pits or below her collarbone. We both wanted it to be able to still go in a ponytail. Nope. And the sad thing is, that she COULD have done the "locks for love" if we had purposely cut off this much but since the hair was just sitting on the ground they wont' do it. It has to be cut off a certain way to send it off for that charity. What a shame.

Eric said, "So I guess you have learned your lesson"....but not really. I am DYING for a haircut myself...and I can't afford a real salon. I may not be going back to THAT Beauty School again, but I think I will try another one in town. It was probably just a classic bad hair day...right?
14 comments:
Holy smokes, they really chopped a lot off! Gotta love beauty schools - I've had a few "fun" experiences myself. But they do look really cute! And yes Colby looks so grown up!
AAAHHHHH!!!! Yes, so cute! But I understand the almost teary part. I don't get how Renae's chin is about armpit level. Big changes, but I guess at least they are cute, not crooked. :)
There is nothing more frustrating then knowing what you want and not getting it. They both look darling, but I'm sorry it's not close to what you told them. I guess it's a good thing their hair grows fast when they're young.
I take full responsibility for your sadness, since I recommended the hairstyling college! I have never ever had a bad haircut, but I guess I have never asked for anything specific either...I just let them do whatever they want and I end up liking it.
They look SO adorable, but I understand the tears. Neither of them was anywhere near what you told them to do.
I'm so sorry Heather! I can't believe what happened BOTH times you went! They are super cute and the hair looks great, but it certainly doesn't match your description. How frustrating. Although, I guess that's what you get when students do the hair. :/
Wow! Who knew it would be so hard to cut a little girls straight hair! They do look good, but I totally understand how you feel.
Ps. I went to great clips and got a really good haircut for just $6 (regularly $12), because it was my first time. They may not be the best hair cutting place, but they are probably better than students.
Darling, but really I can't believe how much they did not follow the instructions. Even at "real" salons, like Dollar Clips they say is this the length you want... I say yes, and then they proceed to cut an inch more in the layering process. Anyway sorry about how depressing it is, but they really look good.
Heather, I hope you are used to the haircuts by now. They both look really cute....Colby does not look like himself, but we have pictures! Nothing could change those adorable faces! Just think, no more tangles and morning bird nest hair! Love ya.
MOM
Nothing worse than getting less than what you expected. Or in this case, I guess you got more of what you expected...more hair cut than you wanted. But, I do have to say that I like Colby's hair cut better now...I know, I know...an outsiders opinion. Rene's hair is really cute too! Good thing hair grows back...and good luck with finding a place for yourself...not an easy thing to do.
Heather, I went to your blog to check out your temperature.....It is warmer in Rexburg right now!! Your are 76 and we are 73! Do you think that could ever happen? Our big storm really cooled us doen almost 30 degrees since 4 pm.
I think the kids look really cute--it's lucky they were left with any hair at all though! It sounds like you need to ask for a more advanced student or find a new place if you want to get what you are asking for on your own hair. Even then, it's always hard to get someone to see what you are seeing in your mind.
They may have cut more then you asked for...BUT I LOVE THEM! They look great. I think Ranae looks so cute with that haircut.
The kids look great. That is quite a story though. Good lesson learned. We meant to do the locks of love thing too and totally forgot. It takes a long time to grow it out.
I like the haircuts. It is a lot shorter, but I sure think it looks good. It can be a shock to your system, though, if you are the mother. I used beauty school students when I was going to college, and I'll leave it at that.
Post a Comment