I have decided that for MY children,
a proper education must include exposure to the GREAT movies
of my childhood.
I am tired of my kids looking at me with blank stares
when I break into a chorus of
"Food! Glorious Food!" (Oliver) or
"Tradition!" (Fiddler on the Roof).
So I am making it my personal mission to have them watch
as many of these "classics" as we can get our hands on
(repeatedly if necessary):
We just watched The Music Man (the original of course) yesterday
and are going to take on Oliver next.
Another on my list is The Wizard of Oz
(yes, they've seen it once or twice)
but they still don't recognize the quotes
"Lions, and Tigers and Bears, Oh MY!" or
"If I only had a brain"
-- so their education is not complete.
So here is my list so far: Oliver, The Music Man,
Fiddler on the Roof, Wizard of Oz,
The Sound of Music, Pollyanna, The Parent Trap,
South Pacific, and Oklahoma.
Eric may have a few to add to the list too.
What movies would you add to this list?
Movies that you remember fondly from you childhood...
movies you find yourself quoting or singing...
movies that shaped who you are today.
I'm interested to hear what you all have to say.
20 comments:
I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't even watched all of the movies on your list. So, I'm probably not the right person to ask. I just barely watched Fiddler on the Roof for the first time this past year. I still have to watch Sound of Music and Music Man all the way through...I've seen glimpses but they never completely captivated me as a child. Shame, shame!
Wow, do I feel uncultured! I've never seen one or two of those movies, and some of the others I HATE (ie wizard of oz, and the sound of music), but I was going to suggest fiddler on the roof until I saw it on your list. I actually LOVE that one!
lol. great post! my kids still need to see 7 brides for 7 brothers and the music man. we've seen the wizard of oz & mary poppins. i'll probably wait until they're older to watch oklahoma. it's a bit scary. (poor jud is dead...) have you seen carousel? love that one.
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS...my sister for years watched it every sunday LOVE IT...we also enjoyed labyrinth but jeremy just informed he thought it was too scary (whatever) i am gonna have to do some more thinking
That is a good idea. Camille kind of liked Sound of Music, but it was a bit too long for her tastes. I can't think of any others, but I might have to copy your list and do the same here.
Funny thing is I started collecting the movies I wanted my kids to watch long before I was ever married. They are all movies we use to watch growing up at Gran's with Jill. Swiss Family Robinson, Son of Flubber, All the original Herbie movies, That Darn Cat, Escape to witch mountain, Anne of Green Gables, man my list could go on and on... guess that is why I love movies so much, I must have gotten that from Jill.
West Side Story is still my favorite musical, having watched it incessantly as a young Smith.
Arianne has Kallie HOOKED on Annie.
This is a great idea, Heather!
Some of those movies are still over our kids heads, so you might want to hold off on them, or at least don't be surprised if they don't sit through them or love them yet (esp. South Pacific & Oklahoma --I don't like that one much). I don't think Ismael has seen most of those movies, so maybe I should rent them for him. . . Another fun thing you can get from Netflix is collections of our old favorite TV shows. We've tried Scooby Doo, Flintstones, Jetsons, & Looney Toons.
Annie, Mary Poppins, Singin in the Rain
I loooved Bednobs and Broomsticks, Darby O'gill and the little people, a cartoon series of movies about Alexandria that I can't remember the name of, Never-ending story, and I'll have to think of some more.
What about childhood books? Apart from Dr. Seuss I loved the Little bear series, Surprise party for Kate (funny that I have a Kate now), There was Nobody There, and so many others. Thanks for reminding me! I need to get these for my kids!
I remembered! It's called Asterix and Obelix. Those were the best.
And it's the cartoon, not the weird live ones.
First of all, I love your picture at the top of the page. One of the movies that my kids would laugh over was "Topper"...an old black and white movie. Rochester is hilarious. Another movie is "PeeWee's Big Adventure." Every time Sarah tells me she's going to Austin, I tell her to be sure and visit the basement of the Alamo. If you've never seen the movie, you'll have no idea what I mean. Two of my favorites of all time: Thoroughly Modern Millie and The North Avenue Irregulars.
Heather! I'm so glad you left a comment on Amandalynn Lemon's blog-so I could track you down! I have been thinking about you and wondering how you are! How are you liking Idaho? e-mail me sometime, (aubreysattic@hotmail.com) or check out our blog at oldhamfamlyfotos.blogspot.com
As far as your list of must see movies- I admit I haven't seen many of them, so for my own education I will need to see them. I have loved the few Charles Dickens movies I've seen and of course Jane Austen, but young kids would probably not enjoy those.
Love ya, Christy
Oops! I spelled our blog name wrong! Just click on my name and it will bring up my blog!
Don't forget Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mary Poppins!
Our kids love watching the oldies believe it or not. We have been watching them for many, many years now, so I don't think that your kids are too young. Well, maybe Sadie, but Colby on up would enjoy several of them I think. We have to stop and explain things sometimes, but that's okay. We have watched and purchased every old Disney film ever made probably. :) We have watched several of the ones mentioned, but some more that our kids enjoyed were "Singing in the Rain", "Court Jester", and "Anne of Green Gables". They've watched some old John Wayne movies, the really old black and white "Little Rascals", and the old Shirley Temple movies. That's all I can think of right now. Good, clean shows!
Along with all the other greats people have mentioned there are: The Happiest Millionaire, The Apple Dumpling Gang, Babe, It's A Wonderful Life, What's Up Doc, and if you can get a hold of old TV shows- Gilligan's Island is great. John and I love to watch old movies! There's just something about them that's wonderful that you don't see anymore.
Heather - It's been SO long! I need to visit your blog more often!!
How is Idaho?? are you on Facebook??
One of my all time favs - Charlie and the Choc fac. original. Looks like you got it covered though!
Post a Comment