Monday, February 14, 2011

Heart Tattoo

A well "seasoned" stone is a wonderful thing. It produces a perfect crust on pizzas. Biscuits just slide off it and cookies come out amazing every time. But it takes years to get the stone into this perfect state. True it doesn't look pretty but it is a "girl's best friend" in the kitchen.
For Christmas this year I got a round pizza stone. It has been a nightmare! No matter how much I grease or oil this pan everything sticks to it. Help! How do I hurry up the "seasoning" process? The pan came with no helpful hints or instructions. Do I just have to wait for another 5 years? Well here are the results of my latest attempt.

I made heart shaped sugar cookies on it. Of course, they stuck. I was mad. So I scraped most of the crumbs off. Poured a couple tablespoons of oils on the stone and spread it around. Then I stuck it in the oven for while at a pretty high temp. I'm not sure what I expected....but not this.

This is my new Heart Tattooed stone. This is it after it has been scrubbed and scraped clean (with no soap, of course -- I know that much about stones at least). I guess it is now "seasoned" in a few places. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I do LOVE hearts -- as many of you who have known me for long know. Case in point -- I am tempted to leave up my Valentine's themed blog background for the rest of the year. It just makes me happy. So maybe the heart tattooed stone is a Valentine's Day miracle just for me :) I guess I'll just try to enjoy it and let it cheer me instead of depress me. But seriously, if you have any hints on how to speed up the "seasoning" process....I'd love to hear them.



2 comments:

jeannie said...

Did you cook lots of Pillsbury biscuits and croissants on it before you cooked other things? That's what a pampered chef told me to do for mine.
Hope that helps if you haven't tried that yet.
Happy Valentine's day!

Abby Gail said...

Yep...anything with butter fat in it is great to get the oils into the stone. And intstead of using oil to season your pan use crisco it's "fattier"...is that even a word? The oils just burn away.