Saturday, July 16, 2011

My relationship with books...

Do any of you carry your book EVERYWHERE you go.....cuz you never know when you will have a few spare minutes....at the Dr. office, in line at the bank, stuck in traffic, waiting for your friend at the park, etc? And then you find yourself annoyed if there is no wait at the Dr. office, no line at the bank, no traffic and your friend is on time to the park?

Do you spend time thinking about ways you could squeeze in a few minutes of reading...while the water is coming to a boil, while the chicken is defrosting, while the dryer if finishing, etc? And then hope the water takes a little longer to boil, the chicken is extra frozen or the dryer takes a few more minutes to dry?

Do you ever try to multi-task with a book-- nurse while reading, eat while reading, pretend to watch TV with your kids or spouse while reading, ride in a car while reading, etc?

Have you every done any of these things? I'll confess...I have. Not every day and not with every book. I'll admit, sometimes I do become a bit obsessed. But some books are just so engrossing. Speaking of gripping books, I am in the middle of one right now, I can't believe I have spent all this time blogging when I could have been reading! What was I thinking?
Oh, and in defense of my addiction-- I do the bulk of my reading at night when my kids are in bed. I've gotten to the point where I can't fall asleep without reading. But I do like to find those mini-moments when I can squeeze in a page or two between tasks or while doing other menial tasks.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Yes! My problem is once I start a book I have a really hard time putting it down and neglect the other things I should be doing, if it is really good that is!

Jessica Reid said...

I bought a Kindle with the hopes it would be easier for me to get books and read more. Well, it's just as hard to find time to read as it is to find a good book. However, I got the Kindle app on my phone and have found that I can squeeze in a little reading between cases at work or my lunch break and I don't have to haul anything around. Kinda nice.

Rachael said...

Wow, no wonder you get so many more books read than me! I haven't been that plugged into reading for a while. I do often read magazines while eating. More afraid of getting my books dirty. I like to read in the car when I'm not driving, but I end up talking too much sometimes.

Cheryl said...

I just got a new phone and LOVE that i can read books on my phone now. Sadly I can't tell you the last book I read, it's been a few years... and now i'm already on my second book. I read at work if it's slow or while at the park etc... it's amazing!!!

Beth said...

Definitely with some books that happens! There are some that you really can't put down and when you're forced to, all you can think about is the book! So, tell us!! What really good book is doing this to you now?

Heather C. said...

Beth -- I am reading Darke (which is the 6th book in the Septimus Heap series). A really fun Juvenile Fiction/fantasy series. Are you on GoodReads Beth? I thought you were but can't remember seeing anything posted lately.

I LOVE GoodReads. Maybe I'll do a post just about that. It is so fun to share book ideas and reviews with friends.

Day Family Blog said...

I didn't know the 6th Septimus book was out. I wish you hadn't told me that, but maybe I can get it in time for the hospital stay ;) I think it is funny that everyone has their thing that they do that fills in the gaps of our life. Reading is not mine.

Vanessa said...

I totally do all of those things! Lately I've been carrying around the Complete Sherlock Holmes everywhere I go, even referring to the book as if it were a person- asking John if I should bring Sherlock with me somewhere. The only problem with this one is that is is so big and heavy!