Monday, April 22, 2013

Colby's Bday - Star Wars Style

Colby turned 8 in April. In our family you get a "Friend Birthday Party" on the even years so it was his turn. He chose a Star Wars themed party. I have to say I was not too enthusiastic about it -- my energy level, free time, and creativity have been at an all time low lately...but at least I had Pinterest to run to for some fresh ideas. With a minimal amount of work (plus I had great big kid helpers) and a minimal amount of money I think we pulled off a pretty fun and unique party.

*forgive any Star Wars misspellings or faux pas...I'm not really an expert in that area

Our fun Star Wars foods:
 YODA SODA

 Light Sabers (pretzel rods w/ fruit roll ups)

And my personal favorite:
Chewbacca Cupcakes





 We also had some jello with Han Solo "frozen" in it...I wouldn't recommend that again. 
The paper (coated in Contact Paper) started falling apart and kids were spitting out pieces of Han


On to the GAMES:
 We had "Shoot the Storm Trooper" the boys were surprisingly good shots


This game was called "Chip Han Solo out of the Carbonite" (or something like that). There is a laminated Han Solo image frozen in the blue water. The concept was good and the kids had fun. But it took FOREVER to get him out and cost me a spoon or two as the kids got a bit crazy and bend a few of them. I think shallower water would have been better.

We made a light saber for each boy (Mason made it using pool noodles & duct tape).
Plenty of light saber battles ensued. But we also played a couple organized games with them.
The first was called Jedi Training -- keep the balloon in the air with your light saber.

 Colby made up this one by himself. It involved throwing the light sabers across the room like javelins. Hmmmm, not sure which Star Wars movie this was from. Tee!hee!


 Here are our Jedi

 Blowing out the candles

 Eating cupcakes got a little crazy....
but I'd expect nothing less from a bunch of 8 year old boys
 Love the moustache
 I think this was a Chewbacca impersonation


That night we had our family party and Colby opened up his Lego set that he had been asking and hoping for for months! We used most of his family gift money towards it. So thanks Grandma's, Grandpa's and Aunties who sent money :) He was one happy boy.


Colby is a great kid -- fun, energetic, and a willing helper around the house. He is still our full-throttle kids who does nothing half way. Colby has a tender heart and is a wonderful friend. We are so happy to have him in our family and we love him to bits.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Wow! I can't believe you did all that on a "creative low." I'd hate to see you go all out. :) But seriously, even though they weren't your original ideas, you are such a good sport to do all that stuff and make it great. Good job!

Heidi Earl said...

Heather, I cant read your blog anymore. For the past few blogs, your backgroung covers your words, but not your photos. Is that your computer or mine? I hope it is an easy fix, because I miss reading your blog! Thanks! Heidi

Wendy said...

Darling ideas for the party! I bet he and his friends were in Star Wars heaven! Way to go mom!!