This is how I would like to blog if I wasn't so far behind and only trying to do "major events." I would love to blog about the little stuff...the little daily stories that happen to my family. Sadly, I never seem to manage to do that. So here is my attempt...but all squished into one post. Enjoy.
TRIATHALON
This is Renae and her best friend Mairin at a Kids' Triathalon that is held in Rexburg each year. It is a great event that my kids "almost thought about doing, but were too scared to try, and their mom didn't want to pay the fee if they weren't really into it" -- but after watching the event this year they are all really excited to try it out next year. And I'm excited for it too!! It is a very kid friendly event! Sadie's best friend was in the race as well and she had a great time cheering her on.
***
HAIRCUT
Now I know that nearly every child (or at least every girl) goes through the cutting her hair phase. But this was different. A few days after the real haircut I noticed a couple of drastically chopped places in Sadie's hair. One was in the back and was cut about 8 inches shorter than the rest of her hair. Another spot was right on the top of her head by her part...and this hair was only 2 inches long! They weren't big pieces, just small locks of hair, but still shocking to me. When I asked Sadie about them, she told me that "Some sneaky boys in my class cut my hair." You can imagine my shock and outrage. Boys cut your hair!!!!! Heads will roll for this! I was all ready to call her teacher, but figured I better get all the facts before I went in for the kill. As I asked Sadie questions like "which boys?" and "where were you?" and "when did this happen?" and "where was the teacher?" -- I started to have my doubts about this story. Sadie claimed (and still claims to this day) that some boys snuck up on her (she doesn't know who or when) and cut her hair. She did admit that she was pretending to cut her own hair earlier...with her scissors. But then later she saw huge chunks of hair under her desk and so she just KNEW that some boys had snuck up and cut her hair. I think that in her "pretending" to cut her own hair....she actually chopped off quite a bit, not realizing it. And then when she saw all the hair on the ground she couldn't imagine that she had done it...so the naughty boys made the most sense to her. But how many 6 year old boys do you know that are clever, devious, and stealthy enough to sneak up on someone from behind, cut their hair, and then quietly get away, completely undetected?? Not many.
The whole thing sounds like something right out of a Junie B. Jones book!! I need to get her out of those books and on to something else quick!
***
HOMECOMING PARADE
The high school Homecoming parade was a few Fridays ago. The junior high kids (Mason included) and the elementary school kids (Colby and Sadie included) all take a half day and walk down to the parade on Friday afternoon. Sadly, Renae's middle school is too far away to walk so she misses out. So I played the part of indulgent parent and came and got her out of school so she could attend the parade. We met up with some of the cousins and they had a grand ole time. It is just a "small town parade" with home made floats by all the high schoolers, but everyone has a good time and enjoys collecting the candy thrown at the by standers.
***
PRIORITIES STRAIGHT
So this one just makes me laugh...at myself. It was one of those mornings where everyone needed me...badly. For Sadie and Colby it was School Picture Day. A day when I should be spending a little extra time helping them get their outfit and their hair more presentable and "put together." For Renae it was Crazy Hair day. She loves to get into these Spirit Days and had very specific ideas about what she wanted me to do to her hair. And it wasn't gonna be quick. And then Mason was having Dress As Your Favorite Villain or Hero Day at his school -- he was begging me to sew a hood on this cloak that we had (from a previous Halloween costume). Oh, and I was getting my employee picture taken at school for my ID card that I'm supposed to wear around my neck. How did these all land on the same day??? It was unreal! What are the odds?
So what did I do????
The pictures above say it all. I spent a good 20 minutes on Renae's Crazy Hair-Do. Isn't it lovely? I spent another 10 minutes attempting to sew on Mason's hood. I had him pin it and then I just buzzed a quick stitch on the sewing machine. It wasn't pretty, but it did the job. As for the picture day kids??? I never even saw Colby's hair. He may or may not have combed it. I did brush Sadie's hair...and I think we threw a headband in. Lovely. Oh well, there's always Retakes. As for my picture... Sigh. I have one wonky side of my hair; luckily no one will ever see it except in a tiny ID around my neck.
But hey, we rocked the Spirit Days!!!
***
Double Trouble!!
I think it is adorable that my 2 girls still love to dress alike. Sadly, I rarely dressed them alike when they were little (hand-me-downs don't come in matching sets) but they are making up for it now. Whenever they find an outfit that sort of matches or coordinates, they love to do it. Here is there one true "twiner" outfit. Even the shoes are identical. I just wanted to record this moment in time...because I'm guessing it won't last for long.
"Sharing...Caring...
Every little thing that we are wearing."
(Name that song!)




3 comments:
Great post! I was totally thinking of Junie B Jones as I was reading the story of Sadie's mystery haircut! I can't believe you all had picture day and spirit days on the same day--I would have died! Love those twin sister pics. The song is "Sisters" from White Christmas. :)
That hair cutting story really does sound like Junie B Jones. I never liked those books when Corbin read them. I think they teach bad manners and poor grammar.
Anyway, what a cute post. love all the pictures.
We had our own Junie B Jones moment a few years ago, only a couple years after a really bad self cut. Olivia didn't learn her lesson.
Post a Comment