I did it! I finally did it! It took everything I had, but I got rid of ALL the kids candy that had been lingering around the house. First there was the Valentines Candy...that got mixed in with the Easter candy...which was added to by the THREE pinata parties my kids went to last weekend. I have a problem throwing things away (anything) but I am also a really strict candy rationer so we just never seem to get to the bottom of the candy bag or bowl. So I took one of my friend's advice (or a twisted version of it) and told my kids that all candy that was not eaten by this Saturday would be thrown away. I let them eat a bit more candy than usual throughout the week but then I declared today ALL YOU CAN EAT CANDY DAY. I know horrible! Why didn't I just throw it all away you ask? Anyway, I let them have a few pieces after lunch and then after dinner I sat them down in the bedroom with a huge bowl of candy and said, "Eat til you get sick." Surprisingly they really didn't eat that much. And then I picked up that big bowl (snatching only a couple Tootsie Rolls for myself) and threw it all away. It was such a good feeeling.
Now there will be no more whining and begging for candy. No more 2 year old trying to scale the frig to sneak some candy. No more Mommy sneaking a nap time treat. It is all gone. Sigh.
3 comments:
Heather, I am so proud of you....you did something I never could do! It does seem that there was a steady stream of candy from Halloween until way after Easter in our house. I really think that is the root, or part root of the whole addiction we have with carbs. See how quickly those babies get their "sweet teeth". I guess it's unavoidable, but I sure battle with sweets and starches daily. Anyway, your kids are SWEET without candy!
MOM
I totally have that candy problem too! Your mom is so right about the seasonal sweet attack from Halloween to Easter! I couldn't believe the FIVE grocery bags full of candy that my TWO kids got for Easter alone. I have been joking that I should save it to give away for Halloween...but I took a lot of it to a basketball party we went to--regifting/throwing away...it's all good!
Sorry about the pun, but I guess you could call it "sweet nothings." I love the grandkids!
Post a Comment