Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Colby Calms and Consoles??

The following conversation took place a few days ago. If I had not witnessed it myself, I would not have believed it. If you don't know Colby very well, it might seem like no big deal...but if you know the 'lil devil you know how out of character this whole thing is. Let us hope it is a glimpse of a softer side, a light at the end of the tunnel, the prince hidden deep within the frog...

Our tale begins with a mother-daughter argument that began over nothing (literally, no one could remember how it started) and ended with a certain daughter yelling, "You act like you don't even care about me! That's because you don't! You don't love me!" Or something to that effect. The exhausted and somewhat offended mother (acting equally dramatic and childish, I suppose) countered with, "Fine! I am going on strike. I am not making dinner!" Not one of my finest moments...but hey, we all have our limits. I then stomped out of the room and threw myself on my bed to begin my "strike."

Then Colby entered the room and said, "Mommy, I'll make you feel better." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Colby can do many, many things, but make someone feel better is not one I have ever witnessed. His idea of consolation would usually include sitting on your head or jumping on your back. So I was astonished when he climbed up onto the bed....laid his head next to mine and said, "All you dreams will come true." He said it in such a calm, soothing tone that I just blinked in shock. He then added, "You are the best mom ever." I was grinning from ear to ear by now and he finished it off with, "You're an angel." It was like I was in some other dimension. I looked around to see if someone had put him up to that...but no, those words came from his own heart.

It was JUST what I needed to hear. One of those perfect moments that you hold onto forever. And it gives me hope for Colby -- and myself!

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh what a sweetheart!!! I love those moments when they show they really care.

Day Family Blog said...

I have adult tantrums daily. That is really so sweet about Colby. They do love you because you are a great mommy. Renae and Colby are just live wires. Mason and Sadie seem more "even" if you know what I mean. Good luck. How did Renae handle it all afterwards, was she super sweet?

jess said...

maybe colby got a hold of a positive affirmations book or something. So, so sweet! I even said, "Awww" out loud. Also, don't arguments like that one give you a scary glimpse into the teenage fights that are coming. Yikes.

Kristen said...

Adorable. I was laughing out loud with tears in my eyes at the same time! I think my favorite bit was, "All you dreams will come true." It reminded me a little of Pedro's student body presidential speech in Napolean Dynomite. But so much cuter and impressive coming from your 3 year old.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I just love this. I know Colby has a tender side....it just doesn't come out too often. I sure missed your kids when we went to Hawaii. I'm glad to be back to Tucson where I can see them on a regular basis.