Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Summer Reading

Is it just me or does everyone equate summer with reading great books...and lots of them. I know that my life does not slow down in the summers as it did when I was younger, if anything it gets busier: I have all 4 kids at home, we are running around to swim lessons and such, and it is too hot to play outside anymore. But I still get all excited to read -- it must be a habit from my childhood.
Three things have catapulted my reading obsession this month.
1) I decided not to attend my Book Clubs this month (due to a conflict in schedules). Now don't get me wrong, I love my book clubs but this gave me the freedom to pick my books at will. A luxury I usually don't take.
2) My "Bus Stop Moms" group went out to dinner at the end of May and then we walked around Barnes and Noble just for fun. It got me all excited for all the books I want to read. There will never be enough time. But I was also impressed at how many of the books on their "must read" table that I had read. Thanks to my Book Clubs.
3) I went to my library's website and reserved a bunch of books that I wanted to read...thinking they would be slowly become available throughout the summer. Well 4 of them were ready and waiting for me this week. Yikes! Plus I borrowed a book from my dad and one from my mother-in-law to keep me busy until my library books came in.

I know! I am crazy. It is a sickness. But I can't stop. I have to get off now and go finish my book.

And in case you are wondering...no my house is not perfectly clean -- but it isn't a total pig sty either. With all the kids home I manage to put them to work and keep the basics under control. And we have instituted "nap time" reading time -- where the little kids sleep and the older kids read with me. I think that is a nice tradition to have.

So read on....read on!!

5 comments:

Brian and Janette said...

I totally know what you mean! I just finished three books in the last month or so and now I've been wondering to myself, "What else can I read?" Do you have any great suggestions? I just finished "Host" by Stephenie Meyer...good, but not as good as the Twilight series. Can't wait until August when the third book in the Inheritance Trilogy (Eragon) comes out and the 4th book of the Twilight series will be out!

Wendy said...

I am with you on this one!!! I seem to go through spurts where I will read three books then have to take a break for a month or so (other than the book club book) once I start a good one I have a hard time putting it down until I am finished. I guess there are worse habits, right??

jess said...

kudos for keeping it together in your home while also reading!! I don't seem to be able to have those two things at the same time.
Book.
Home.
Not both.

Heather C. said...

Wendy & Janette are you a member of Goodreads? I love that website. It is a great way to share what books you are reading and what you love and don't like about them. I would love to be "buddies" or "friends" with you on there. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you an invite. I have about 10 family/friends on there already and it is great to get new reading ideas and just to see what everyone is reading.

Wendy said...

Heather on the scrap kits the come ready for you to assemble, everything in them but you put it together.