Last year I was so awed by the snow -- I took pictures EVERY time it snowed. The kids wanted to play in it every day, we built snowmen & snow sled tracks and snow angels. This year it is more like "Hey, what's that 3 feet of white stuff in the front yard? Oh yeah, that's our snow." I know the winter still has 2 or 3 or 4 more months to go, but so far I am feeling pretty good about it and not freezing too bad. So I just wanted to make a few comments and observations about snow & winter in general.
There are many different kinds of snow. I wonder if they all have different names? There is the kind of snow that is so dry that you can just blow it off your car. There is the kind of snow where it can snow all day and still only give you an inch on the ground. There is the kind of snow that seems to sparkle like glitter. There are the snowflakes that are so distinct that when they fall on your windshield you can actually see all 6 points on them. There are snow flakes that are so big falling down that they look like snowballs (those are my favorite!)
I like having a car so cold that I can leave things in the trunk for hours (even raw meat or ice cream) and know that it is just fine!
Did you know that you can tell the temperature without a thermometer? If the snow starts melting off my room then it is at or near 30 degrees. If my nose hairs freeze instantly when I walk outdoors then it is in the single digits. Have you ever felt this sensation? It is weird!!
I think it is funny to see the mail trucks and the garbage trucks with snow chains on the tires.
Even with mornings at or near 0, I still see teenagers going to school without coats on. Are they crazy? Where are their parents?
I wonder how many people BBQ on their back deck in 2 feet of snow while it is 7 degrees outside? Well we do. Twice this week. We are just used to BBQing year round and we can't seem to give it up for the winter months. I know we're crazy.
I think it is ridiculous how people are expected to drive on roads with no lines. Not that the lines aren't still there, but they are often covered in packed snow. (Rexburg is not great at snow removal on roads). People just make up where they think the lanes should be...and in parking lots you just park where you think the stalls should be. Funny. But what is NOT funny is pushing a shopping cart through the snow. I'd be happy to never do THAT again.
Well for those of you who live in snowy places....this was nothing new or earth shattering...but these things are all still eye opening and unbelievable at times for this Arizona-girl. The snow has a lot of down sides, but I'm trying to see the beauty and wonder of it all in spite of the freezing temps and the inconvenience.
4 comments:
I think your AZ girl observations are spot on. I love that you find the beauty in that crazy climate!
when i was up there i called those single digit days
"bugger(sp?) freezing"
having your nostrils freeze together is so weird and for me panicking(i hate not being able to breath)
as for rexburg clearing the roads is it still red dirt they put down and your car and shoes and pant legs are covered in red dirt allllllll winter long
glad you are enjoying it ;)
I'm glad you can see the beauty in it, because I struggle with that. Boise isn't even that snowy, but I'm almost always disappointed when it does.
Heather, you are such a good writer..whatever you write! I love your descriptions. I have never experienced the freezing of nose hairs though! At least I don't remember it in Provo. Maybe just that few degrees lower than we ever had does the trick!
Post a Comment