Monday, October 29, 2012

Internet Day

Did you know that today is "Internet Day"? I have this fun little calendar from a Relief Society (our women's organization at church) activity a few months ago that has some fun (or silly) thing to celebrate every day of the year. It has been fun to look at even if we don't really do anything for most of them. For example: Oct 26 was "National Sleep-in Day" -- it was a school day, but I let me kids sleep in 10 minutes late. I wish I did a better job of remembering to look at and follow the calendar. There are some easy ones like "National Dessert Day" "Chewing Gum Day" or "Birthday of the Pencil" that would be fun and easy to celebrate. Others are a little tougher or more random like "Farmer's Day," "National Public Lands Day," or "National Iguana Awareness Day." Crazy.

Anyway...back to my point. Today is Internet Day and I am choosing to celebrate this one but spending time on the internet (which I do everyday anyway -- sadly). But at least I can feel like I am doing it for a more noble reason today. I'm observing a day of remembrance for the birth of the internet. In honor of the internet...I found this on the internet to share with you.

Internet Day
Most of us became familiar with the Internet in the mid 1990s when the World Wide Web made its way into our homes and offices. Remember dial-up, and waiting for a page to load, only to have it time out and crash 50 percent of the time? Well, believe it or not, the basis for that technology was already several years old. The first Internet transmission actually occurred on Oct. 29, 1969.
Today is "Internet Day," and you've already taken the first step in celebrating just by signing on!

So there you have it. The website I found this on (Yahoo!News) said that today was also National Cat Day, National Hermit Day, and National Oatmeal Day. I will NOT be celebrating the others, but knock yourself out --- shut out the world, curl up in bed with your cat, your laptop and a big bowl of oatmeal. Enjoy!!

I found that there are lots of different lists and versions of these National Days -- I checked this one on the internet to make sure it was legit before I share it...but I don't really care if "National Oreo Day" really exists...I'm happy to celebrate that one! So just FYI -- tomorrow is National Candy Corn Day and Nov 1 (the 1st Thursday in November) is "National Men Make Dinner Day." Oh yeah,  I am DEFINITELY hoping to celebrate that one!!!!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

LOL. Way to blog in celebration of internet day! I am gonna go ask Ismael what he thinks about the men make dinner day.

Rochelle Brunson said...

I love that Men Make Dinner Day is today, because its my birthday, and I was not looking forward to making dinner! I'd rather Scott just buy me some olive garden or something, but that counts right?