Thursday, October 25, 2012

Seasons Change

I've been meaning to get out and take some great fall pictures...pictures of the kids playing in the leaves...pictures of the beautiful fall colors on our trees. Well, I missed it. Winter arrived today. Luckily, Eric took a few pictures of our fall leaves so at least I have something to document that fall has come and gone. It was quick....we had an extra long summer and before the leaves had time to finish falling...winter is here. Sigh.

Last week......
Front Yard

I LOVE the Fire Bushes by the front door. They make me happy.
They are just boring green bushes in the summer but they explode into color in the fall.

A glimpse of the backyard.
 
 
**********
 
 
Then 2 days ago we had our first snowfall. The first one is always exciting.
 
 

Sadie trying to catch snowflakes on her tongue
 

I just couldn't get over how pretty the snow looked
just dusting the bright red bushes and my mini Christmas trees.
 
The snow didn't really stick and it was all over and sunny within an hour. Perfect!
 
*******
 
 
Then today...we were faced with THIS --
 

My backyard has been transformed into a winter wonderland. It is beautiful. The first snowfall of the year is always beautiful & awe inspiring. Like seeing the world with a new outfit on. But this big of a snowfall in October scares me. I'd say we had about 8 inches.
 

OOPS!!!! This winter storm caught up totally unprepared.
We had planned to take down the tramp (or at least the enclosure)
and/or move it under the trees for protection before winter came.
We had also planned to rake all the leaves, clean out the flower beds, trim the bushes,
and clear out the leaves from the gutters and roof.
Uhhhhhh, I guessed we procrastinated a bit too much. 
Hopefully it will all melt and we'll get another chance to get our home "ready for winter."
  

My van buried in the driveway.
We have a "heated driveway" that we are trying out for the first time today.
It is really expensive to run, but we just wanted to see what it does or how well it works. Hmmmmmmm. Only seems to work in 2 spots. Interesting.
 
 
Welcome to Winter!!!

 
 
 
 

6 comments:

Debbie Lawrence said...

I know, can you believe all that snow! I measured 6.5 inches down here but you are higher than us so I wouldn't be surprised if you got 8. Crazy!

Don't worry, you will have plenty of time to winterize. Luckily the weather always gives us a few warnings before real winter sets in. I think it is supposed to be up near 60 again for a few days next week (hopefully for Halloween!).

Day Family Blog said...

Wow you got dumped on quite a bit. We got some snow this morning, but now it is just soggy outside. I hope Thanksgiving isn't blizzard like weather!

Rochelle Brunson said...

Oh man, I think all that snow is kinda depressing. I'm not a winter fan!

I hope it warms up enough for you to get your "to do" list done! Good luck!

Jonna Lu said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! That's all I can say! That red bush was gorgeous, and what a fun surprise to see it change before your eyes....You didn't know it would be red! I bet you'll have some more time to do some winterizing before the deep freeze! We are gloatingly enjoying our favorite time...80's in the day and 50's at night. So glad to be over our worst times...summer. Strange world only 2 states away. Mason was so cute to call me this morning and tell me about the snow! XO

Wendy said...

That is some substatial snow fall! We have been hit the last couple days but it is has melted and should warm up over the next few days (thank goodness). I am not quite ready for it to be "winter" yet.

Rachael said...

Watch out for that tramp. If the snow doesn't melt off soon you should have the kids go scoop the snow off the tramp bcuz it is pretty heavy. We use dust pans to clear it off. Never have taken it down. But you'll probably want to in Rexburg.