Sunday, March 29, 2015

Christmas 2014

We had a lovely Christmas. It all seems so long ago now (sigh)...but here are some of the highlights.

Our COUNTDOWN to CHRISTMAS is an advent that has us doing something "Christmasy" every day of December. It ranges from the scheduled things we would do anyway like Holiday Band Concert or Church Party to the more creative activities like Gingerbread Houses or a Grinch Party to the more mundane like Mom/Dad at Work Party -- Kids Watch Christmas Movie. Some days we miss and some days we double up, but it keeps the month of December memorable and fun for the kids.
We have little stockings hung up down the hall and each morning you can pull out the card inside and see what that day's Christmas Event is. It was a lot of work the first year, but really it is a matter of just rearranging it each year after.


On Christmas Adam (the day before Christmas Eve) tee!hee! the kids all sleep out by the Christmas Tree.


Christmas Eve morning we let the kids each open their sibling gifts (the gifts they were giving to each other). It was nice way to spread out the fun of gift giving.

This was funny. Mason wrapped his gift for Colby by putting a false bottom in the box. So it was "empty" when he opened it. It took some effort to get the false bottom out and see his gift inside. Tricky older brother!!!!




Christmas Eve we had Debbie's family over for our annual Nativity and Mexican Food dinner. I find it hard to believe that I didn't take any pictures...but I can't find any, so I guess that is the case. Sad. We had a lovely time and the Nativity was as wild as ever. Then we had a short music concert where the piano kids played their Christmas pieces.

 Christmas Eve it began to snow. And snow. And snow!!

We got about 8-10 inches in that storm. Fun!

The Christmas morning mayhem. 
It destroys the house...but man are they happy and entertained for a good long while.

We spent a few hours on Christmas Day shoveling the driveways of our neighbors and friends. The kids grumbled a bit (I'm not gonna lie) but it was good for them and all of us to spend part of the day in service. Our Christmas should be more about service...I'll have to remember that for next year's advent calendar...see how I can work that in.


1 comment:

Grannie said...

Beautiful pictures Hea. The snow with lights on is enchanting. You have some neat traditions. I like the separate day for the kid gift exchange. It keeps their humble gifts from being lost in the shuffle on Xmas. I especially like the service on Christmas. Keep that one if you can!