The whole month of December is magical. It is full of traditions that help us get in the Spirit of the Season. Some are about the "true meaning of Christmas" and others are simply wonderful ways to spend time with family, eat yummy treats, and show our friends and neighbors that we love them. Either way, December is always a busy but memorable time of year.
Decorating the tree is one of our first family Christmas Traditions each year.
They have a door decorating contest at the middle school where I work. I am NOT creative like that, but one of my wonderful Aides asked if she could take it on. This is what she came up with. Isn't it amazing??? I wish you could see it in real life. It is 3-D and seems to be coming right off the door. She even put in a tap light that you could turn on. Unbelievable. Colby got his picture taken with it because he goes to my school and comes and helps me out in my classroom every morning for a half hour before school.
Another tradition that we began when we moved to Idaho was a family
Gingerbread Decorating Party (although we really use graham crackers instead).
It has evolved and changed over the past 6 Christmases.
This year we got really smart and the adults built all the houses first then let the kids decorate them.
I just loved this picture of the adults during the Construction Phase.
Then we let the kids jump in and go candy crazy.
Sadie told me, "I just try to get as much candy as I can. I even fill the inside full of candy."
Lovely.

Another Family Tradition we have is making Goody Plates for all of our neighbors and good friends. It is not an easy task, but we have so many helpers now that we really got it done pretty quickly. The finished plates were a visual and culinary masterpiece (ha!ha!) but they represented a lot of hard work and love. Of course having a large variety of treats to enjoy ourselves isn't a bad thing either :)
Sadie gave a presentation on Christmas in Argentina at school. It was very well done.
Colby played a piano piece in his class Talent Show. He played Joy to the World.
Then a girl in his class asked him if he would accompany her while she sang Joy to the World.
They hadn't practiced together at all and playing while someone is singing is a bit harder.
But he did a great job and they pulled it off.
One last Pre-Christmas moment...each year we set up a train track around the Christmas tree.
This year we expanded it to cover the whole front part of our living room.
The kids and cousins had a great time playing with it all month.
The little boys especially got a kick out of it.














2 comments:
You guys really do celebrate Christmas well! If my kids only knew, they'd say, can we go live with them mom? I'd say, me too!
What talented, creative, helpful, beautiful grandchildren I have!!! Heather you really do it up right!
Post a Comment