Friday, June 19, 2009

God grant me....

God grant me...
The SERENITY to accept the things I cannot change;
The COURAGE to change the things I can,
and
The WISDOM to know the difference.

This is one of my favorite quotes/sayings of all time. It has helped me at many different times in my life. But I have found it especially applicable as I have prepared to move and sell my house. We are three weeks out from moving day...how do you decide what to do?
Do I re-paint the whole house? Just touch up the worst rooms?
Just pretend I don't see the nicks and dings in the paint?

Do I scrub the baseboards? Paint the baseboards?
Replace the baseboards?
Which things do I just accept, which things do I find the energy to change and how to know the difference... It is a quandary we are facing many times over each day. It is tough sometimes. I think I realize now why I've never moved in 10 years...this is just so hard. But I am happy to say that the house is now listed and on the market and we've even had one showing in the first 24 hours. Yea!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

That quote really does apply! I'd say patch up and touch up walls if you can match the colors, if not just leave it to them to repaint. Repaint the baseboards if you have time, but if not, ditto. We came into a house that needed work like that and remade it our own way. My baseboards and doors still need to be repainted though. . . someday we'll do it.

Rachael said...

Then again, if it is going to be hard to sell your house (so far so good though!) they say paint is the cheapest investment you can make to give your house a face lift, so you could take a couple days and paint it up really nice before you leave if it hasn't sold yet. But do it in neutral colors if you do that.

Day Family Blog said...

Yeah I was going to say that the quickest way to make a house look nice is paint. So I would worry about that first above all the other smaller details. Glad you already got to show it. How did the pics turn out. Can I look on a website to see your listing? We still need to talk some time... preferably before this little guy comes.

Wendy said...

Good luck with the whole project it is never fun to move...except for all the junk you seem to get rid of in the process.

Touch ups will be easier to do after the place is empty, it sounds like you are going to be out soon!