So Renae's class is doing a unit on the desert. Each child has an animal to study and they are learning a song to sing. But Renae is being taught about the mightly saguaro (pronounced SA-GWAR-O)! Ahhhhhh. I tried correcting Renae and she said, I KNOW, I tried to tell my teacher it was pronounced sa-war-o but she said that is how you say it in Spanish but in English it is "sa-Gwar-o" and we are singing this song in English. H-E-L-L-O!! I don't know what to do....nothing I guess. Just laugh about it and make fun of Idahoans on my blog :)
14 comments:
OK....so I read this and was, of course, appalled as any Sonoran Desert dweller would be. But then I looked it up on my treasured dictionary.com...well just listen:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/saguaro
!!!! What??????????
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/saguaro
emma had a class where the teacher talked about "gee lah" monsters. When I tried to tell emma it is pronounced "hee la" she didn't believe me. :)
Ha ha! That reminds me of a time I heard a Utahan say "Puerto Rico" about four times...except it always came out as "Porto Rico". Too funny!
so sorry but so funny at the same time...the teacher in you has got to be going crazy
Tel her to stick to her guns! That's funny!
Do you really need to condemn the entire state of Idaho?! Just kidding. It is funny when stuff like that happens!
oops, sorry. I forget that I'm not the only person who lives in Idaho who reads this :)
I can't believe that dictionary.com pronounced it that way. Unbelievable! I guess I should take it all back. But I don't :)
Considering the fact that it is a Spanish word adopted by the English language, we should probably adhere to it's pronunciation origins...I mean, we haven't quite exactly started pronouncing the "LL" in tortilla yet, have we? So, take that dictionary.com! It's no longer my gold standard for proper pronunciation.
I love what Janette said. You should say that to her teacher. Although Napolean Dynamite does say "quesadi-LL-a" :)
dictionary.com is aiding and abetting ignorance, imo. renae's teacher is wrong & she should stand her ground. don't let her come back to az brainwashed.:) isn't napoleon from idaho? lol.
How funny. I bet that teacher never thought she would get corrected on that one in Idaho. PS if you happen to be out and can find those little sweetheart chicks, bunnies and ducks, could you buy them cuz they are sold out here. They are my favorite
Post a Comment