Monday, August 22, 2011

Back to School Time

School starts day after tomorrow and this is what is on my mind --

Things I love about Back to School Time:

* new crayons and glue sticks for 40 cents (although last year they were only 20 cents so that makes me mad) -- I try to buy a years worth of crayons and glue sticks. I even picked up a pack for stocking stuffers for each kid
* I'm a dork and I love buying school supplies -- maybe it is the teacher in me. I wish I had more spending money so I could indulge in all the highlighters, Sharpies and post-it notes that my heart desires
* let's face it, the kids are getting bored & cranky and I am ready to have them busy and out of the house for a few hours a day
* I love learning and I loved going to school -- this time of year just makes me excited and happy for the new experiences and challenges that my kids will face -- sometimes I wish I could go too!
* volunteering in the classroom -- I think it goes back to my teacher roots but I love being involved at the schools....I think I may have accidentally volunteered to be the PTO Secretary at the Middle School, oops!

Things I don't enjoy about Back to School Time:

* clothes shopping for the kids -- it stresses me out. I am not a shopper by nature and I am not patient enough to shop around and wait for sales. I made a list of each child's actual needs and attacked them one by one. It wasn't fun, but it is done.
* getting up early again....I know, it is good for us and all that, but it is still hard to get back in the swing of things.
* after school snacks -- they come home like ravenous wolves and somehow I never feel prepared. This year my goal is to be better at that. I want to have a bunch of health snacks all ready to go.

What do you love or dread about this time of year??

p.s. I have only been home for a week from a whirlwind 3 week vacation and I have tons of pictures to share and stories to tell -- but I am waiting until my kids are all away at school to dive into that project...so stay tuned later in the week.

3 comments:

Rochelle Brunson said...

I'm with you on the cheap school supplies. I love buying them too, and get excited as if I were going back to school. But I hate getting up early, and I hate the tons of homework! I think our school overdoes the homework factor, and its a little frustrating at times. I also hate clothes shopping because its expensive, and I'm not patient about it. But I'm excited to have a few hours of peace everyday. That is the best. I can't compose my thoughts in an orderly fashion. This is a mess of a comment. Sorry about that.

Rachael said...

You can guess that my main "hate" about getting back to school is the getting up early. However, I can already tell (our school started Monday) that I am getting more done in a day, having time to read and exercise again, and even had a few moments when I wondered, what should I be doing now?! So I guess its for the best. I am really trying to get us all to bed earlier this year so we aren't so tired all the time though.

Day Family Blog said...

I am glad to not have 4 kids home all the time. That is about all that I like about school :) I love hearing Camille tell the same stories over and over again about people said to her or about her teacher. She makes me laugh.