Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Goodie Plates & Caroling

My family had a tradition growing up to make "goodie plates" -- holiday plates filled with Christmas goodies which we would deliver to neighbors, friends, co-workers, etc. But we didn't stop there. We also caroled to each of the families on their doorstep. Just a quick rendition of "Jingle Bells" or "Hark the Herald Angel Sings" as they were coming to the door and then "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" as we were leaving. We were not amazing singers...just average...but it was a tradition. As a teenager, I probably grumbling about having to do it, but mostly it was fun and I have very fond memories of it. Our list grew and grew to the point that we had to take 2 nights just to deliver them all.

Well when I got married we went with my parents for a couple years and then started doing it for our own friends. We skipped the caroling -- that seemed kind of awkward for just Eric and I.  I think we tried caroling once or twice when the kids were little, it was cute, but Eric was a bit of a humbug and I didn't persist.

This year as I made the goodie plate delivery list I was surprised to find that my list had 20 households on it -- with at least 5 more that I wanted to do, but Eric said I had to draw the line somewhere.  It struck me that we finally felt "at home" here and that we had so many people that we loved, admired and cared about.  I was also determined this year to give caroling another try.  Half of my family (Eric, Mason & Renae) sing in the ward choir, there is no reason we can't sing a few bars of We Wish You a Merry Christmas.  I know Eric doesn't love that part of the tradition but he did it -- and did it well, I might add.  I just think it is fun and helps to spread the Christmas cheer. It was a lovely night: clear, calm, chilly (20ish degrees) but not cold by Rexburg standards. We even walked to many of the houses on our route since we still have no snow on the ground, if you can believe it!

So Mom & Dad, thanks for starting the tradition. I wonder if you still do it? Do you still sing? Times change, but it is one tradition that I am hanging on to.  And I realized as we were making all these goodies on Sunday afternoon -- this tradition has an added bonus (besides doing something nice for those you love) it lets you have a wide variety of Christmas goodies for your own family, without having TONS of treats around the house. There was a small bit of each treat left for us to eat, but not massive amounts that sit around for weeks tempting me. Perfect!

3 comments:

Brittani said...

Ooooo that sounds so fun! I can't imagine just Kenny and I singing, or Kenny singing at all for that matter, but maybe when I have a couple of older kids.

Rachael said...

Hey, I made my family pick up the caroling tradition this year too--tonight in fact! But I only made my easy traditional chex mix, and only 3 families received the privilege of our singing. Well I guess we started small and it was a success so I could see us expanding next year, but I don't see us ever getting as big time as you guys do. You are so sociable! Wish we lived close enough to taste all your goodies!

Day Family Blog said...

I go through humbug phases too.