Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas has Officially Begun

I know that many people start celebrating Christmas in mid-November. That is not me. We are usually gone or have people over during Thanksgiving so we don't even really start decorating that weekend either. Yes, I put up a few things here and there and started listening to Christmas music...but for me -- until you turn the calendar to December, Christmas hasn't officially begun. But now it is here and to kick off the first day of the season we had our church Christmas Party last night.

Eric and I (and 2 other couples) were in charge of it. The theme was Christmas Around the World. We fed and entertained about 250 people. There was too much lasagna and not enough salad but just the right amount of rolls and dessert so I think everyone was happy. We had tables set up with displays and treats from 10 different countries. It really came together well (I wasn't involved in that part at all and I was impressed with what they did).  This party has consumed my time and energies the last few days (and weeks) and my feet were aching by the end of the night, but we were happy to help (and happy it is over!)

I love Christmas time. I always have high ambitions for the Christmas season -- lots of fun family activities, meaningful readings of the Bible Christmas story, reading even half of our Christmas books, watching our Christmas movies, Christmas cards, baking goodies, and attending great Christmas concerts and nativities that will leave lasting impressions on the family...and yet not becoming so busy we don't have time to enjoy the season. Hard to do. Very hard to do. But I have a plan...I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Could you make a plan for me too? I feel like I don't even know where to start. Don't hardly have time to start either. So for me its going to be about getting simplified down to the basic essentials I guess.

Grannie said...

This year, without anyone coming to Tucson, I've gone the stripped down, simple route! We didn't get up in the attic and get our Christmas stuff down! Our tree is in the garage, with a box of simple tree decorations that I bought a couple of years ago when we were "home alone". My 6 nativity sets are in the hall closet, so our house has a tree and nativity sets sprinkled around the house. Actually, it is so peaceful and simple, the really important things to remind me of what this season is really about, but it also makes me miss the kids as I remember how they love to play with and re=arrange the figures and tell the story of Baby Jesus' birth.