Sunday, April 15, 2012

Catch Up Part 1 - Conference Weekend

So much has happened in the past few weeks but I was too busy to blog it. But I am going to try to catch up....so here we go.

March 29th - April 1st my sister-in-law Kathy and her daughter Lauren came to visit. They were doing a Campus Tour at BYU-Idaho to check out the Art Program there. I can't believe that I have a niece who is starting to apply to colleges. Crazy!
Oh, I forgot to mention that they came all the way from Indiana. History has proven that when one Cameron family member comes to visit from far away...other Cameron families come to join the party. Camerons do everything in big groups! So we also had Eric's sister from Washington and her family come down and Eric's sister and her daughter from Utah come up. Add in Eric's sister and her family who already live in Rexburg and it was a mini-reunion! We loved it.

It happened to be Conference Weekend -- the special time when we as LDS members get to hear messages from our apostles and prophet. (I am going to steal much of the rest of this post from my sister-in-law Debbie's blog) she took all the pictures and put it together so nicely and said she didn't mind if I plagiarized right off her blog. Thanks Deb!!

We started off with our usual tradition of donuts for breakfast. This started as Debbie's family tradition but my kids have happily adopted it. We have some fun food traditions surrounding this weekend...including a Super Bowl Sunday type meal of finger foods in front of the TV & what began as my dad's "Conference Mints" has evolved to Conference Treats.  Hopefully someday they will learn this weekend is more than just the yummy food we eat...but but I admit I love the food traditions too.

Kayla enjoying a pretty pink donut

 Kate was soooo funny and wouldn't touch the donut with her hands --
I think she was pretending to be a cat

There was a great variety of ways to keep ourselves occupied while we listened. 

Kayla read books on Amy's lap...

 Eric and Braedon put together a puzzle...

 Lauren and  Shay did who knows what on their laptops...
probably just secret teenager things. :) I can't believe I have nieces this old!

I took notes in my journal (yep, that's me hiding)
and Erin crocheted

The majority of the kids colored conference BINGO and loved listening for key words.

Sadie & Eric made a great Bingo team.
Sadie kept hearing random words like "day" or "went"
and wanted Eric to mark them on the Bingo card. Too funny.


And yes, there was some sleeping.
It was a long day for little kids and very pregnant mommies.
So adorable.

No matter our methods of paying attention we had a great time sitting around
and listening to great talks and music.
I love the spiritual uplifting that I get from this weekend.



Two of my favorite quotes from Conference:

"We simply have to stop judging others and replace judgmental thoughts and feelings
with a heart full of love for God and His children..."
"This topic of judging others could actually be taught in a two-word sermon.
When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges or wanting to cause harm — please apply the following: Stop it!" ~ Elder Uchtdorf
 

"Don't judge me because I sin differently than you." ~ Elder Uchtdorf taken from a bumper sticker

I look forward to getting to go back and read all these talks again.


Between sessions (and while the men & older boys were at Priesthood Session)
we had some fun outdoors. Thank heavens for unseasonably warm spring weather!


Bubbles and popsicles -- does anything say Spring/Summer better than that?



It was a lovely weekend.
Thanks family for coming and sharing it with us!!

2 comments:

Rochelle Brunson said...

Wow, I want to come to your house for conference weekend! Seems way more exciting than it was for us!

Day Family Blog said...

I feel like I should have been part of that reunion too because of all of the familiar faces. No way is Lauren old enough for college. Is Shay Erin's daughter?