Friday, January 11, 2013

Darn Socks

I interrupt my holiday blog "catch-up" game to ask this one burning question...

Do you DARN socks? Do you even know what that means? I don't. I don't do it, nor do I really know how. But I've heard the expression and read it in books. "She darned socks." I'm guessing it is a sewing method of fixing the holes in socks. But does anyone do that anymore? Or do you all just throw away your socks once they get a hole? Because I do. Am I being wasteful...do I need to learn this skill? Or are the cheap Walmart socks not worth a darn? (forgive the pun) But seriously. I really want to know if I'm the exception or if everyone else is in the same boat. I buy socks for my kids (my boys especially) and a couple months later they have holes...BIG holes in the toe and/or heel. If anyone has a method they use to fix them, I'd like to hear about it. Or a method to prevent the holes...even better!

Until then...I just keep cursing these darn socks -- another little play on words. I'm killing myself :)

6 comments:

Rachael said...

I definitely don't darn my socks, just throw them away when they get holes. It does feel wasteful, but I'm sure a sewn-up spot would feel uncomfortable and we just don't have to be that thrifty these days. However, I know DI does recycle clothing in all kinds of condition to turn into non-clothing products. Maybe we should throw them in the DI pile. I do "fix" holes in pants with iron-on patches on the inside. It prolongs their life a bit. When I finally retire them I send them to DI.

Brian and Janette said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nY1jTVyBE0

Looks like darning is more for wool socks than cotton. Take a look at the video above. And no...I don't do it. I just keep wearing my holey socks! :)

Wendy said...

I chuck them...funny thing is Emma never gets holes in her socks? She outgrows them first, maybe that will change.

i also hate how often it feels like the match to a sock goes missing. I always have a large pile of unmatched socks...gotta love this kids and their sock "issues"!

Rochelle Brunson said...

I just throw them out also. If I fixed them, I'd be sewing all the time, and I don't sew! Plus Dexter is very particular about the seems of his socks. Its a nightmare and fixed spots will only make it worse.

My boys get holes in their socks within minutes of opening a brand new package, I swear! My girls never get holes in their socks. It must be a boy thing.

Jessica Reid said...

I toss them out!

Day Family Blog said...

You don't darn your socks, I can't believe it ;0

PS is it just me or is it impossible to see the numbers below to prove that I am not a robot. It just proves I have terrible eye sight.