Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Bear World

Sadie's end of the year fieldtrip was to Yellowstone's Bear World.

This is a drive-through wild animal park that is about 10 minutes away from our home. We had heard from the locals that it was pretty much a rip off tourist trap and that it was not worth your money. I would have to agree that it is VERY expensive to get in normally (like $15/person although it only cost $2/person on the fieldtrip) but it was a very cool experience, in my opinion.



 Sadie & I on the bus ride to Bear World


You first go through and see all the "safe" animals...mountain goats, elk, deer, bison, etc. Then you are taken into this special locked up enclosure (it reminded me of the entrance to Jurassic Park). This is where all the bears are. The Grizzly Bears are kept in a fenced area separate from the other bears, but the rest of the Black Bears (which can be black or brown in color) are just roaming around right next to your vehicle. We saw one swimming, one scratching its bum on a tree...very entertaining.


 Tell me that's not funny!! Look how he is sitting.

 There is also a petting zoo with all kinds of "kid friendly" animals in it. 
Sadie is our animal freak. She thought she had died and gone to heaven!!

 They had a learning center as well, where kids could touch all kinds of animal pelts. 
This was one of Sadie's favorite (sorry the picture is sideways. I can't get it to rotate.)

 My favorite thing at Bear World were the baby bears. They were ADORABLE!! 
I could have sat and watched them play for hours. They were so entertaining.


 My little Bear Cub!!!

So my conclusion -- yes, going to Yellowstone is better. 
You get to see the "real thing" in its "real environment" along with some amazing landscape (waterfalls, geysers, canyons, lakes, etc) and I will continue to take my family there...
BUT I've been to Yellowstone half a dozen times since we've moved here 
and I've yet to see any bears or moose or white elk or wolves. 
Bear World has over 50 bears and 2 wolves and a moose and a rare white elk. 
And watching baby bears frolic and play...you are never going to see that in the wild.


2 comments:

Wendy said...

Looks like a fun field trip!!! Glad you got to go for the $2 price!!

Abby Gail said...

That is fun. I'm glad you got to go see what the hype was all about without having to pay for it. Fun pics!