Monday, September 23, 2013

Mr. Not-so-lazy

Well, I guess I should tell the whole story...while Renae, Colby, Sadie, and I were sitting around all August being lazy -- Eric was busy at work and traveling to Georgia on business and Mason was busy spending a week at a Scout Leadership Training camp and then hiking a 50 miler in Yellowstone.

Mason spent a week up in Island Park at Cedar Badge in early August. This is a camp that the boys go to as individuals (not as a troop). They are then split up and put into new patrols when they arrive. They spend the week in Leadership classes. Mason loved it!! He learned a lot of valuable things that will help him in all facets of his life.

They had a graduation ceremony at the end of the week. We all attended. It was so good to see Mason after having him gone for a whole week. I'll admit I even got a little choked up when we saw him again. He on the other hand was just fine and tried to shoo me away because they were getting ready for a program.

When the ceremony was over, we headed out with some friends (the Thompsons and the Hancocks) for a river rafting trip. My good friend's husband is a river guide. This was a VERY tame river, but it was the first time my kids had ever been on a river and they thought it was amazing. The scenery was beautiful and the trip was relaxing. We all had a great time and hope to do it again soon.



We had 5 boats of various sizes to try out. Everything from a one man (with Mason in it on the left) to a large 10 man boat.












 




***

The boys had 3 days to recover and then they were off on their next adventure. Mason and his scout troop -- 14 boys, 3 phenomenal leaders, and 2 dads -- went on an amazing hike that few will ever have the opportunity to do. The did a 4 day, 50 mile hike that took them all over the back country inside Yellowstone. It was an amazing adventure and Mason had tons of cool experiences. I'll admit, as a mother I was nervous and worried about my boy much of those 4 days, but I am so proud of him for accomplishing this hike.



 Here they are at Lone Star Geyser...
they saw lots of "off the beaten path" geysers while on their hike

 Swimming in the hot springs (Mr. Bubbles) after a LONG day of hiking

 One of the many waterfalls they saw
Mason said they had many river crossings like the one seen here

What an adventure!!! Mason will treasure those memories forever. I'm so glad he got have that experience and I am so grateful to the leaders that made it possible.




1 comment:

Grannie said...

Wow Mason, what amazing experiences you are having in scouting! What a trouper you are....and no complaining? You've seen places in Yellowstone that most of us will never see. It was great to talk to you yesterday. XO Grannie