At the beginning of the soccer season, Colby was a reluctant player. He mostly just stood around and watched the game go by. He didn't love it, but he didn't complain either. A few games into the season he had progressed to the point that he would run throughout the game...he still rarely made contact with the ball, but he was engaged in the action. But by the final few games (did I mention the season was only 4 weeks long...with 2 games a week) Colby was on FIRE!! He still didn't have the skills of the team "Super Stars" but he had the energy & enthusiasm required to make some key plays, including scoring a few goals. I'll admit it was so fun to see him bloom athletically. He may never be a Soccer Super Star like his daddy was (Eric was a HUGE soccer player in his day) but at least he had fun and discovered that with some work and effort he can learn how to do something new, even if it was intimidating at first.
I wasn't impressed with the league (or team) organization -- I mean they never even had a Team Name and they only practiced a couple times! But it was a good experience for Colby and he said he would like to do it again. Now, if I can just convince Eric to be the coach...that would be awesome! :)
Funny side note: Colby often ran with his tongue out and his fingers (sometimes just his middle finger) pointing out. It is just a funny mannerism he has...but one kid on the opposing team thought that Colby was sticking his tongue out at him and I wonder if anyone thought he was flipping them off??
Colby and his cousin Kaiden
1 comment:
My kids put their tongue out when they are concentrating too, so do I! I bet if you twist Eric's arm you may be able to get him to coach, he'd be great!!
Post a Comment