Tuesday, November 30, 2010

First Thanksgiving

No. No. Not THE First Thanksgiving but MY first Thanksgiving at home. My first time ever HOSTING a Thanksgiving dinner. I have to admit, I was terrified. I'd always been a guest. A guest that was willing to help, and willing to bring a few side dishes or pies, but never had I been in charge! This was also only the second year I have had Thanksgiving away from my parents. My brother (who is a chef) hosted us last year. I am such a spoiled BABY, I know!!
But luckily I was not alone. Eric's two sisters (and their families) were coming over and they did more of the cooking than I did! His sister Amy made a delicious turkey following Alton Brown's recipe (from the show GoodEats). And it truly was the moistest bird ever. Is moistest a word? Probably not. Everyone contributed to the effort and it turned out marvelously...but boy is Thanksgiving Dinner a lot of work! I would love to come to YOUR house next year!

The table set with my family's traditional nut cups & name cards.
Renae made these awesome name cards for everyone.
Unfortunately she thought that SHE got to keep them all 
but other kids did not agree.
The amount of fighting over the silly name cards was hilarious 
& infuriating!
Who knew that they would be in such demand?!

The three 3 year old girls sitting up at the bar enjoying dinner.


The boys table.


Renae reading her "Epistle of Gratitude" --
a 5 page list of things she was grateful for. Lovely, yet long.


The grown-ups table (plus baby Kayla).


The "Pie Master" -- Eric made 3 homemade pies:
Apple, Pecan & Pumpkin.
It took the better part of a day to do it...
but it was nothing compared to the 100+ pies
he made for BYU last Thanksgiving.
Oh, and they all turned out WONDERFUL!!

I realized I let the whole Thanksgiving season pass by without making an "I'm Thankful for...." List on my blog (or anywhere else). I'm thankful for:
my family (I know everyone says that, but that really is my best blessing!)
my health
my home -- it's only a rental and it needs some work but we love it
seasons -- each season brings with it joys and trials but I love them all in different ways
computers
books
the gospel of Jesus Christ
ice cream & chocolate
the "8 Weeks to a Better You" Challenge that helped me break my addiction to the previous 2 things
furnaces, boots, gloves, space heaters, big fluffy blankets and anything that helps me stay warm
sunshine

Okay, I'm sure I could go on for ever, but I think that is good enough.
Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and had time to ponder all the blessings you are thankful for.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

You are my hero! I still have never had to cook Thanksgiving dinner. We have so much family around we just bring a side and call it good! Way to go I'm impressed!!

Sarah said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving. So fun hosting and being at home. I love spending holidays at home, but even better to have family to share it with.

Day Family Blog said...

I have yet to host one and I don't see it coming in the near future either. We will probably have to move before I am in charge. Looks like you did a smashingly good job.

Erin said...

I can't tell you how super jealous I am to see you guys sitting there for Thanksgiving together! I am sad that I couldn't be there too!

Way to go on the pies Eric