Monday, February 13, 2012

Totally Rad 80's

Eric and I went to an 80's themed Dinner Dance thrown by Renae's clogging studio. It was a fundraiser for the festival team. We decided to go as a last minute decision (the morning of) therefore we didn't have much time to put into costumes. So they are LAME. I'll just say it. We basically dug through our own closets and pulled out things that could pass (barely) for 80's style. For me: Big shirt. Pegged pants. Keds shoes.
For Eric: Bagging "Parachute-type Pants", tucked in shirt, 80's shoes.

There were some other uninspired costumes....but there were also lots of good ones.
(Here comes the if....) IF we are here next year,
we are going to go all out and get GOOD costumes!
Florescent colors, headband, leg warmers, the works!




My crowning glory was my bangs.
I got them big and fluffy in true 80's fashion.
I had serious flashbacks about doing this EVERY morning -- back in the day.
Those of you who knew me back then, don't you think I got it pretty close?
Eric couldn't stop laughing at them all night and I got lots of compliments on my authentic bangs.


But in spite of our inferior costumes, the night was a total success.
The dinner was wonderful.
Great people at our table.
Eric and I tied for 1st place (with 4 others) in the 80's trivia contest.
(I'll give you a few sample questions below and see how you do.)
Yummy chocolate fountain dessert.
A great floor show put on by the Clogging Festival Team.
Super fun 80's dancing. Yep, we danced.
Eric and I haven't danced in probably a decade, but "everyone was doing it" so we joined in.
 It was actually a whole lot of fun. We busted out all the old school moves. 

Most Memorable Moments:
Dancing with Eric to slow songs that I'm pretty sure we actually danced together to
 20 years ago at Stake Dances.

Thinking that I felt young and peppy and just like the "good ole days"
and then I would look in the mirrors (it was in a dance studio so the walls are mirrors)
and want to laugh/cry at what old fogies we truly are.

Okay, here are some of the trivia questions. Try your hand at them. I found myself laughing out loud at some of them and the memories they brought back.

1. Punky Brewster was:
    a. a monotone-voiced little girl robot
    b. a dog-owning Chicago orphan
    c. a furry, loquacious Alien Life Form from the planet Melmac
(extra points if you know remember the names of each of the shows!)

2. The run on what 1983 doll caused riots in suburban malls?
     a. Poseable Condorman
     b. Cabbage Patch Kids
     c. The He Man

3. Which of the following was a spin off of the Cosby Show?
     a. A Different World
     b. The Jeffersons
     c. Fresh Prince of Bel Air

4. What movie gave us Sloth, Mouth and the Truffle Shuffle?
     a. Ghostbusters
     b. Goonies
     c. Sixteen Candles

5. Fill in the blanks of this sitcom theme song: "You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both, and there you have __________________________.

6. Who did Bill and Ted NOT bring back from the past?
     a. Socrates
     b. George Washington
     c. Billy the Kid

7."Nobody puts Baby in a corner."
     a. Dirty Dancing
     b. Mad Max
     c. Three Men and a Baby

8. "Ray, if someone asks you if you are a god, you say "YES!"
     a. Clash of the Titans
     b. Ghostbusters
     c. Revenge of the Nerds

9. What famous hair style was patterned after an 80's rock band?
     a. Big Wave Dave
     b. Flock of Seagulls
     c. Motley Mullet

10. "I don't trust that kid any further than I can throw him."
      "Well, with your bad back, Ed, you shouldn't throw anybody."
      a. Ernest Goes to Camp
      b. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
      c. Dying Young

Okay it went on and on....there were 45 questions. Some were matching and 7 were music clips they played that you had to identify the movie or TV show they came from. I'm a dork and I LOVE that kind of thing so I was in heaven. If you want to try out the trivia questions, leave your answers in the comments and I'll post the answers later.




3 comments:

Rochelle Brunson said...

Those bangs are awesome! Luckily I was too young to ever get into the big bangs, but my older sister was a total offender! I love trivia too! Especially 80's! (Its my favorite decade for music!)
1. B (I know the robot show is Small Wonder, but I can't remember the name of the alien one)
2. C
3. A
4. hmmm..B?
5. The Facts of Life
6. A?
7. A
8. B
9. B
10. B

Day Family Blog said...

Man for a second I totally thought that was you back in high school and was confused about how dark your hair was :) They looked pretty authentic. The only question I am not sure about is the hair style but assume it is the mullet one?

Rachael said...

The bangs are awesome! You really look like your old self.