Saturday, August 25, 2012

Sadie said...

I just had to get this one down "on paper" so to speak before I forgot her exact words. Today I was out weeding in the backyard and Sadie came to join me. Our next door neighbor has a dog and Sadie went to pet it through the fence (he is a friendly dog).
Then she said to me:
"I just love animals so much I can't stand it!"
My response, "Hmmmmmm."
"I mean, it's like it's what I'm made for. My heart is telling me it is who I am."
My response, "Really?"
"I want to be a nature trackers (I think she got that from Wild Kratts). Or a zoo keeper. I mean if I just had one elephant it would get lonely so I'd need some cougars and some lions and stuff."
My response, "Well that would be interesting."
"Mom, it's my destiny. I can't stop thinking about it."

Wow, she is pretty passionate about this idea! Forgive my under-enthusiasm. Sadly, I think it would be hard to find someone who is LESS enthusiastic about animals than me. I try not to be a hater, and I don't wish any harm on animals, but I would be fine if I never had any contact with any animals, ever. So this is NOT an example of "the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree." This is the opposite of that...whatever that is called. But I am happy that she has found her passion and life's mission at age 5. How many of us, even now, know "what we are made for"...



(Note: I meant to write this down IMMEDIATELY so as to not mess up a word of it, but I had to wait a couple hours to get to the computer... so there might be a couple words off. But this is pretty darn close.)

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I am with you on the whole animal thing....my kids are so deprived without a pet.

How cute she "knows' what she is meant to do. Even by college I changed my major 3-4 times. Perhaps she could get a little job walking the neighbors dogs. That might be easier than getting some elephants and cougars for your back yard.