Sunday, February 24, 2013

Kindergarten Spelling

Sadie was given the assignment at school to make a list of food that she would like to see fall from the sky (I'm guessing this was a follow up to reading Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs). She is in kindergarten so she still uses "creative spelling" but I just think it is amazing to watch as they try to sound out and make words out of the letters and sounds that they know and hear (or think they hear) in a word. I know from experience that they pass this phase all too quickly (and it isn't so cute when a 12 year old misspells words), so I wanted to preserve a sample of her writing at this point in time.

My favorite things to note:
Sadie always signs her name "Sadie L.C." -- not sure when or why she picked that up, but she has been doing that since Preschool. I guess her teachers don't care, because they haven't made her change to her full name. I just think it is funny.

I love how she uses an apostrophe on all the words to make them plural. I've tried teaching her the difference between plural and possessive, but after all she is in kindergarten and doesn't really understand. But it is cute.

My favorite word on this list "schrobearee's" -- did you figure that one out? It is strawberries.



2 comments:

Rachael said...

I love that! Glad you interpreted strawberries for us. I think she's got the right idea here. I vote for donuts twice too! And her spelling is actually very good for Kinder.

Rochelle Brunson said...

I think her spelling is pretty good....and she must really like donuts!