D -- I won't do Drugs
A - wont' have an Attitude
R - I will Respect myself
E - I will Educate me
Okay, don't get me started on the awkward grammar "I will educate me" -- but for some reason this song does something to me. I remember at Mason's DARE graduation 2 years ago that I got a little verklempt (choked with emotion) and had to wipe away a few tears. Well this time, I totally lost it. Tears were streaming down my face, completely out of my control. Eric looked over at me and started laughing. Then I started laughing and crying -- I was a mess. Colby looked over and was all concerned, "What's wrong with mom?" How do I expain it, when I don't even understand it fully myself. I guess I am touched by the power and sincerity of 400 innocent 10 and 11 year kids singing about their power and their promise and goals for the future. My heart goes out to them...knowing that they won't all make it through life drug free (and that makes me sad) but also feeling hope and joy for all those that will make good decisions. Or maybe it is something more personal. I just hope and pray with all my heart that my little precious girl will make it through the tangles of Junior High and High School without doing drugs, without an attitude (maybe too late for that), respecting herself, and getting all the education she can.
Well here is a link to the video. Watch it if you want a good cry (tee!hee!) or if you want to just watch it, visualize me bawling, and have a good laugh!

1 comment:
Wow, that's a funny story but that kind of crying thing happens to me a lot at school programs. :) I don't think they even use the DARE program here in Utah though. At least we definitely don't have a performance. They give the kids a cool CD in 4th grade with pop sounding songs about don't do drugs though. Probably there's an assembly and some education too.
Post a Comment