I have always used Tide detergent in my laundry. In college a dear friend of mine (who came from a very large family) always said her mom swore by the stuff. Her endorsement was good enough for me. I've never strayed from Tide through 4 years of college and 12 years of marriage. And I've always been happy. But now, in an effort to save money (due to recent changes in our circumstances) I tried a cheaper brand. I was at Sam's Club and I picked up a huge box of Surf powder.
BIG MISTAKE. When I go to get the clothes out of the washer when they are done, they are STILL covered in white powder. It doesn't dissolve!! I'm so annoyed. I have to run it through a second rinse cycle which wastes time & money.
So my question to you all is (and I am really looking for answers here): Is there a good bargain laundry detergent out there? One that gets the job done and doesn't cost a fortune? Please let me know if you have found such a product.
And while you are at it, if any of you have any other great "bargain" products that you have found that substitute for the pricier brand name products, I'd love to hear about it. I know from experience that some generics are awesome and some are JUNK. So I'd love to hear your suggestions.
5 comments:
Did you put the detergent into the water first before putting in your clothes? We switched to powder because of the price and it has worked okay. It is Costco Kirkland stuff. It is best to start the water and detergent first and let the stuff dissolve. Also we just got a recipe for homemade liquid detergent that is cheap from a super Saturday event. If you want it let us know. They say it costs about 45 cents per gal
I use the Costco Kirtland stuff too but the liquid and it works great.
Welcome to the world of generics! You know I've always been a big user. There are a few things I don't like, but I usually just try the generic at another store before running back to the name brand. Some things differ greatly from store to store. As for laundry detergent, I also use the Kirkland or Sam's Club one, been using liquid for a while now too.
Costco brand works pretty well. Never tried the liquid though. But their dryer sheets are great, too.
we have been cutting corners also and i went from using only liquid tide to the costco powder...its been great and super cheep and lasts forever and i do anywhere from 8-12 loads a week
Post a Comment