Thursday, October 14, 2010

Yeah, Yea, Yay & Ya

Okay, if you know me well (and I sure hope all of you do....otherwise creepy...quit stalking my blog!) you probably know that I like words. I like to use big words, I like to read incessantly, I like to write, I hate misused words (like there & their) and I am tortured by finding typos in nearly everything (school newsletters, advertisements, and even books I read.) Of course I'm not perfect....I'm sure I have the occasional typo too, but they just pop out at me everywhere I look, except my own writing. LOL.

Well I am a big enough girl to admit when I am wrong. I have been misusing a word for some time now. Probably my whole life. Sad, but true.

It began when I noticed someone use the term "Yay" in their blog. I thought, "Interesting way to spell 'Yay' -- I always spelled it 'Yea.' Hmmmmm. The thought began to simmer. Then I got an email from a young person (she's probably 18) and she was using the word 'Ya' to mean what I would have spelled 'Yeah.' Are you confused yet? So was I. Had I been wrong all these years? Was there a right answer? So I went to my trusty friend Google and did some investigating. And this is what I found:

Yeah - a slang term that means 'yes.'  Rhymes with "waaaaaa" (the sound a baby makes). ie: "Do you want a cookie?" "Yeah, sure." Can also be used sarcastically as in "Yeah, right."

Ya - a term that is a slang for 'you.' Rhymes with 'duh.' For example: "Who wants to ride with me?" "I'll ride with ya." or "Ya all come back now, ya hear?"

Yay - a term of excitement. Possibly short for Hooray. Rhymes with 'hay.' For example: "It's my birthday. Yay!!" or "I just lost 4 pounds, yay!!!!" After further research I found this is a new word. Not found in older dictionaries.....so is it a real word? Dictionary.com says so and it is allowed in Scrabble. Good enough for me. I like it and I'm going to use it.

Yea - an archaic (old fashioned term) meaning yes. Rhymes with 'hay.'  ie: "All in favor say Yea, all opposed say nay." Also used in scripture to mean 'indeed', "Yea it came to pass....."

My main sources for this information were:
http://www.genpink.com/yeah-yay-yah-ya/
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-yay-ya-yah-and-yeah.htm
http://dictionary.reference.com/
These sources also included "yah" but it was pretty much the same as yeah, just as a shortened version for texting or something.

Yeah well....sorry to bore ya with my ramblings. If you learned something, yay! If you already knew all of this; I guess that means you are smarter than me. All in favor of me ending this long dry post, say Yea.

5 comments:

Brian and Janette said...

I'm guilty! I've been using "Yeah!" for "Yay" all this time. Thanks for the clarification. And just so you know, I'm also really good at spotting typos and grammatical errors in everything but my own writing. Argggh!

Beth said...

Thanks for the clarification! I am always confused with yea and yeah. I'll make sure I use those correctly from now on!

Andrea said...

How very enlightening. We all stand corrected. Interesting how such small things can be so intriguing.

Jessica Reid said...

You are funny!

Rachael said...

Thanks for the info. I dig this kind of stuff too.