Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bear in the Big Blue...Auugghhhhh!

Sadie (who is 4) loves watching the Jim Henson/Disney TV show "Bear in the Big Blue House." Which is fine. I am not a big fan of the show (which involves a giant Muppet Bear dancing and singing with a house full of other Muppets) but I don't mind Sadie watching it. My problem is that it is the ONLY show that she likes to watch. She asks to watch it EVERY day -- now, I don't let her watch it every day -- but somedays when she is the only kid at home and I need her to be occupied while I do laundry or do my scouting stuff or something she watches a show (yes -- this is one of my parenting tricks I am less than proud of -- but we all do it, right?) Anyway, I only have 3 videos of Bear in the Big Blue House and so she watches these same episodes over and over.
I beg her to watch a Princess movie -- "Wouldn't you like to watch Ariel? or Cinderella? How about Mulan?" Nope. Just Bear in the Big Blue House. She isn't an Elmo fan or even a Blues Clues or Dora fan either. Crazy! Huh! How do I get her to branch out? Or do I just accept it and let her watch the same episodes (that she almost has memorized) again and again.
Any advice? Any similar experiences?

6 comments:

Rochelle Brunson said...

Yes, we all do it! Ivy's is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (which I can't stand), but she insists on it all the time. I usually only let her watch it while I take a shower, but it still drives me crazy. She also refuses Sesame Street or anything on Pbs (which I'd prefer over disney channel). Very frustrating.

Grannie said...

I remember Sesame Street with some of yours and Blues Clues with Mason. They all get attached to something, and they all outgrow it! Remember me buying used episodes of BC for Mason?

Wendy said...

Taylor used to LOVE that show two...but at the time it was on Disney so we did not have to watch the same three episodes over and over. I may have one tucked away in a bin somewhere if I find it I'll email you to see if it's one you already have them you'll have four!!!

Day Family Blog said...

My kids are obsessed with the Liken videos. Try those on her cheesy, but totally cute, fun and spiritual. Can you get videos from your library? At least that way she could watch different episodes.

Nomi said...

Right now, Lil is stuck on Max and Ruby. I actually don't mind the show too much, as far as annoying little preschool shows go. BUT, where are Max and Ruby's parents?! They have a Grandma that meets them at the park and the mall sometimes, but they are always alone and no sign of Mom and Dad. lol Morgan LOVED Dragon Tales.....my Mom bought her used (and some new) VHS tapes of the episodes. David can't stand Dragon Tales AT ALL. Awww...Sadie, the big bear kinda scares me, but he's not SO bad I guess, you will move on someday. :)

Nomi said...

Right now Lil is stuck on Max and Ruby. I actually don't mind it as far as annoying preschool shows go. BUT where are Max and Ruby's parents?! They are never there!! lol
Morgan was obsessed w/Dragon Tales...David's LEAST favorite kids' show EVER. My Mom bought Morgan used VHS tapes of episodes. Luckily those are all retired now. Sadie will grow out of liking the big, semi-scary bear! :)