Monday, March 28, 2011

Train Museum

When I did my "President's Day Weekend" blog post a few weeks back I hadn't unloaded my own camera for pictures (I just used other people's pictures) and somehow I left out the side trip we took on our way home.
We stopped in Ogden (North of SLC) at the Union Pacific Railroad Museum. You may remember that we TRIED to go to this museum at Thanksgiving time but ran into bad weather and ran out of time. We met our dear friends, the Raguskus Family, there and we had a lovely time.

There are actually 3 museums in one: a train museum, a gun museum and an historical automobile museum. Can you say Heaven for my husband and sons!

Here are some pictures we took. Everyone had a very enjoyable time...even if those of us who don't find cars, guns & trains to be the coolest things on earth.

Some of the kiddos in front of one of the outdoor trains.
It was quite cold, but no one complained.
They really let you climb all over the trains and even let you go inside quite a few of them.
It was fascinating. So much has changed about how we travel, deliver mail & such.

Our family in front of one of the big engines.
I think I smell a Christmas Card photo.....


The Raguskus Family posing on a train car.
Just FYI....I have been best friends with the mom of this family since I was in 6th grade!!

The kids loved pulling the train horn? whistle?
well whatever it is called it makes a big loud noise.

My girls getting comfy in a passenger car.

Alex (or Ben?) -- they are twins -- working with Renae on the handcar

Mason and the other twin (Alex or Ben) -- sorry boys!

I'm sure there is something special about these guns but I couldn't tell.
We did watch an interesting movie on someone famous in Idaho
who did something revolutionary with guns...
but I don't remember much about it.

The antique car museum was tiny but pretty fun to see.
We have come so far with the automobile in the last 100 years that it is almost unbelievable.


Well, there was our museum trip at a glance. I would highly recommend it for a family outing. They sell a family pass for $12 (that includes all 3 museums). Not a bad deal. With kids and their attention spans you don't get to read everything you want or sit and ponder and ask questions so we were done in about 2 hours.
We ended the day with a meal at Golden Corral. I guess my kids have never been to a buffet like that (at least not that they can remember) and they thought they had died and gone to heaven. "We can try all the foods we want and have as much as we want???" They couldn't believe it.

Thanks Raguskus family for joining us on this fun adventure. Let's do it again soon!!

2 comments:

Rochelle Brunson said...

I love museums. How did I not know this place existed? I even lived in Ogden for a little while! It looks like a lot of fun!

Wendy said...

That is an awesome shot of the whole family, those are so rare for us. Christmas card for sure! I'm glad you got to go through this time!