Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Daylight Savings -- Spring Ahead

So we had the semi-annual Daylight Saving switch this weekend. Having lived in Arizona nearly all my life, I am still new to this whole concept. And I would have to say that I am NOT the biggest fan of daylight savings. Although I'm not the biggest "Hater" either -- that would be my little sister. But I followed a friend's advice that helped to lessen the pain a little.

You are supposed to switch your clocks ahead an hour in the Spring. And technically you are supposed to switch them at 2:00 am on Sunday morning. No one does that, they usually just change them when they go to bed at night. But that means that you lose an hour of sleep. No fun. Especially if you have 9 am church...which will feel like 8 am church now. There is no way to totally eliminate this pain and adjustment but I think we made it a little easier transition.

On Saturday morning after breakfast -- I think it was about 9am -- I changed our clocks. All of a sudden it was 10 am. Note:  this would only work if you had no where to be and no appointments to keep, which we didn't. It was one of those great -- sit home Saturdays. Where you clean, clean, clean and then just play, start a project, read or relax. I did meet with some resistance from Mason (no surprise), but the other kids didn't care. We ate lunch at 12:30 (really 11:30) and dinner at 6:30 (really 5:30) all seemed pretty normal. But then the important part was I was able to put them to bed at 8:30 (really 7:30) without complaint (except Mason -- he felt he was being robbed....but really I was trying to give him something -- an hour of sleep -- not take it away.)

I know it seems silly and a small thing. But it really did help, in my opinion. I would never have been able to make myself go to bed at 10:30 -- but since my clock said 11:30 it seemed normal. And it just made the Saturday morning transition a little bit easier. Call me crazy, but I'm a believer (not in Daylight Savings but in doing a day-early/mid-day change). Thanks Molly for suggesting it!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

It always screws me up for a week or so. And I often forget...until I am late or early for something especially because it is no the same weekend every time. I wish they would just leave it alone.

Rochelle Brunson said...

I DESPISE Daylight savings! My family thrives on routine and it screws with our routine for a little while. I hate it, hate it, hate it. Plus I don't see the benefit in it. At least our church isn't at 9am, but still....

Rachael said...

A good idea for those of us who have early church on Sunday! Wish I'd heard of that before. When you get to sleep in it is no big deal, so Saturday is a better day to start it. It wasn't as bad when it used to change during conference. I hate how it is dark in the morning again. Any ideas to fix that? J/K