So I'm doing an informal survey. What sparked this survey was a conversation with my mom following an unfortunate incident with dog poop being tracked into my house on the bottom of a shoe. She wondered if it was time for me to have my carpet cleaned or when was the last time I had had it cleaned. Having my scary 1970's carpet cleaned was not even on my radar. So here are my questions:
1. How often do you think you should have your carpet shampooed? Quarterly? Semi-annually? Annually? Every other year? Every few years? Never, just buy new carpet when it gets gross?
2. How often do you ACTUALLY have your carpet shampooed?
3. Do you have it done professionally or do you have or rent a machine and do it yourself?
4. Do you think as a Renter (which we currently are) that we should be periodically shampooing the carpet in our rental home or is that just something that we would do when we leave? or is that the landlord's responsibility and he should be responsible to have it shampooed regularly or between tenants? Many of you have been tenant or landlord's so tell me what you think.
So you don't have to answer all of these (or any of these) but I really am curious about what others think is acceptable or the norm in carpet care. Not saying it will change me, but I just wanna know.
6 comments:
Okay, here it goes :)
1. I think every 6-12 months is a good IDEA when you have little kids. It doesn't take long for us to get spots with these ones around.
2. So far, Never. But I've been thinking about it lately (we've now lived here 6 mos). The longest we've lived in one place is a year... and they were always apartments so it didn't matter.
3. I think I'd rent.
4. I think it's the landlords responsibility to shampoo between tenants but I also think that if YOU want clean carpets now, that you should have to pay for it. It is after all your mess.
There you have it! I hope it helps you decide
1. It totally depends on how fast the dirt accumulates. With younger or more children, it will probably happen faster than someone with older or fewer children. So far, once a year works for us.
2. Since having kids, once a year works for us. We'll probably have to reassess as they get older and can make more messes.
3. I had it done professionally. I think I paid $50 for three rooms. To rent, you pay about $40, from what I've been told. So, I say let someone else do the work in 1/8 of the time and I'll gladly pay $10 more!
4. I think the tenants should be responsible to leave the carpet in as close as condition to how it was when they first occupied the residence. If it is not left in an acceptable manner, then the landlord should keep whatever money is needed to fix it from the security deposit. So, as a tenant...I would definitely clean it upon leaving and then however necessary I felt it was upon living there (i.e. if I could stand the dirt or not and/or if getting stains out would be easier sooner rather than later).
I agree with the above comments. Once or twice a year seems to be about right if you want to feel like you are not living on dirt. We used to have Bob Brown come and clean our carpets once a year. About 6 years ago, we bought a Bissell from Costco, and I do my carpets once a year....should do it more often. Even with only two of us,it is gross how much muddy water comes up! It is easier for someone else to do it. I never rented a machine. I guess you just have to look at costs. Definitely you'll want to do it when you leave, but now is probably a good mid-point for a good clean up. It always makes you feel good to see how much cleaner it looks.
At least once a year and as a renter you should be on your own, unless it is nasty when you move in then they should do it and then do it when you move. I did live in an apartment once tough that shampooed it once a year. Do it myself? Sounds dangerous and messy. Kids and wet carpet-yikes!
1. I think maybe it should be done once a year.
2. But I do it like every 3 years. But you know how I am about keeping shoes and food off the carpet. Plus I have brown carpet. :)
3. Never tried the machine, always paid someone to do it. Maybe that's why I wait so long to do it--it's expensive!
4. If you know there is a gross mess or an area that is starting to look bad, even as a renter I would look into renting a machine to clean at least those areas. Other than that, I think it is the landlord's job to get it cleaned between tenants. (or replace the whole carpet if you are an unlucky landlord like me). Some landlords do take money out of the deposit for that though (like Grandma), so if you could do it cheaper yourself before you go that might be good.
I do mine a couple times a year. Once myself and usually hire out once to. Cher has a carpet machine I borrow.
Post a Comment