Friday, April 29, 2011

Sisters' Retreat

Some of you read my Sister's blog so you've already seen pictures and heard about this...but I still want to report it for myself. (It's long. Sorry -- but this is my journal). My sisters and I had our first ever "Sisters' Event." It all began as an idea to go to a Women's Conference or Time Out for Women or Education Week together but as we tried to mesh schedules we realized it wasn't going to work this year. So we settled for a 24 hour Sisters' Retreat in Salt Lake City -- a 1 hour drive for my older sister, 1.5 hour drive for my younger sister and 4 hours for me. But I'm not complaining. To avoid having to make the long drive 2 days in a row, my hubby suggested I go for an extra day and visit some friends -- BRILLIANT plan. Thanks sweetheart!

So I went down on Thursday afternoon. I met my friend Miranda for dinner. She had been in my ward in Arizona but had moved away about a year before we did. We hadn't really talked much since then. I wondered if it would be weird or if we would have much to say. But of course, we did! We talked and talked until they practically kicked us out of the restaurant and then for a few more hours at her house. It was great.

Then I went to my dear friend Jessica's house to spend the night. We have been best friends since 6th grade. I knew I shouldn't stay up late, but it was too hard not too. We stayed up half the night chatting about this, that and the other thing. We spent a leisurely morning together (although I'll never forget the images of her trying to stuff her cat into a crate for her son's show and tell -- long story) then parted ways around noon and I met up with my sisters.

Rachael, Janelle and I spent the afternoon on Temple Square. We watched the Joseph Smith movie (without kids), visited the Church History Museum (without kids) and took a tour of the top of the Conference Center (did I mention we didn't have any kids!). This is the first time we have ever gotten together without our families. It was nice to just have adult "grown-up" time together. The weather was perfect, the flowers were blooming, it was gorgeous. We went out to dinner at a locally famous mexican food place The Red Iguana (HOT salsa). Then went back to crash at my Aunt Marde's house. She gave us free reign of her basement. THANKS MARDE!! Of course we stayed up too late talking (2 nights in a row for me!) but it was so fun.

The next morning we met up with our "new" sister (my sister-in-law) Brittani at Gardner Village. It is this adorable little village created around an historic old mill and lots of other historic buildings. The shops sell all kinds of cute crafts, sweets, furniture, clothes, etc. We had a great time window shopping (I don't think anyone bought anything except for some candy and fudge) and then had lunch at the nice restaurant there. Another perfect weather day -- which is a miracle this time of year in Utah. 




It was a great day. And a great Sisters' Retreat. I'm so glad we did it and we have plans to do it again. Our future plans range from the realistic (going to the outdoor theater in St. George) to the outrageous (going to Nauvoo and London) but at least we've got one Sisters' Event under our belt and we can build from the success of that one. It was a long and exhausting drive home after 2 nights of little sleep but I did it. Next time we better meet in Pocatello so I can have the 1 hour drive! J/K

2 comments:

jeannie said...

Sounds like so much fun! Still sad I missed our girls night dinner but the sunshine was calling my name! I'm still not used to seeing your dark locks but it looks great on you!

Rachael said...

Loved remembering our fun weekend again. Glad someone is blogging about it.