Well I’m done. I’ve written my life history.
Okay, that isn’t EXACTLY true. But I’ve finished the “Recipe for My Life Story” activity and I now have 46 typed pages about me, my family, my childhood, my beliefs and my current life. It was something I worked at a tiny bit at a time for the last 2 years. And I am thrilled with what I have to show for it.
It isn’t as hard or as daunting as it might sound. It started with a lesson I gave in church on Journal writing in 2009. I found this list of questions online: 12 pages of questions that ranged from the silly to the sentimental to the serious. Things like “describe your favorite outfit as a child” or “what were your Christmas tree traditions growing up” or “what values do you hold most dear” the list went on and on. I changed some, deleted others but I just kept going -- a couple questions a week. It would take 2-10 minutes a day.
I really enjoyed it and found it almost therapeutic. It was fun to reflect and write everyday.
I’m almost a little sad. I will miss my journal project. I guess I’ll just have to find another one! But I’ve found one thing to be very true: for me personally....my words and thoughts flow faster, freer and truer when I am on the computer rather than with a pen and paper in hand.
Maybe I’ll just have to blog everyday! Just kidding.
4 comments:
That sounds awesome. I'm a big believer in journal writing! Its a great way to preserve your feelings and life that you might otherwise forget.
Hey you sent me a link to those questions once, but the link was "broken" and didn't go anywhere. Can you try again. That sounds awesome.
Six years ago, I realized that pen and paper couldn't keep up with my thought process. I've typed my journal since then, and don't feel it has had anything real negative effect on my journal writing. My goal is to write something on a daily basis for this calendar year. Sounds like a great "Recipe" idea!
Congratulations! Thanks for getting me started. I don't know how far I am, but definitely not done. I keep going back to some of those questions that I don't have an answer for and stress over them...I guess I have permission to delete them!
Post a Comment