Friday, June 17, 2011

Bored = Hungry

In my children's vocabulary these two word are synonymous. Anyone else have this problem? If we are busy and involved with something they rarely ask for food (sometimes they do...but rarely). However if they are bored or watching TV or we have run out of fun things to do....they think they are starving. So my summer is a battle to keep my kids busy! Or teach them how to keep themselves busy (even better!)

I have a tight schedule for the morning: breakfast, jobs, reading time, learning time, craft/creative playtime (this means no computer or TV all morning!). Then we have our afternoon activities -- this time is more flexible and I try to give them more choices:  outside playtime (on the warm not rainy/windy days), park, summer movies at the theater, playing with friends, library, doing projects with mom, playing with their toys that they hardly have time to touch in the school year, computer games, and some TV in the late afternoon. Sounds fun, right. But sometimes it doesn't go as planned (shocker!) and we are left with too much downtime and boredom sets in.....which means HUNGER strikes.

Personally, I don't know what boredom is...my To Do list is always longer than my day and if I do find some precious "down time" I can fill every spare moment with reading. So I can't really relate to this whole boredom thing, but for my kids it is a real issue sometimes.

So I am trying to take a tip from a "Love and Logic" email I got recently that said to give the kids the responsibility to fix their own boredom. Give them some choices when they say they are bored. Such as:
1) You can do some housework so you won't be bored. The windows need washing.
2) You can read (that would be my choice!)
3) You can find an entertainment for yourself (not TV or computer)
4) You can go sit in your room and feel sad and bored
It is your choice. Good luck!

Good luck to all of you moms on fighting the boredom and hunger monsters :) Have a happy summer!!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Here is a link to a friend of mine's blog and how she answered the "boredom" question.

http://aggiemania.blogspot.com/2011/06/boredom-buster-jar.html

HOpe it helps!!

Cheryl said...

And here is one more

http://thecraftingchicks.com/2011/05/summer-activity-jars-and-grab-bags.html

Rachael said...

I can't believe your kids have time to be bored with all that you have scheduled! That is one of my pet peeves though, when kids say they are bored. Mine are doing ok so far this summer. Our weather has been really nice for outside play lately. It is so true that when they are busy the snacks are easily skipped.