We went to this wonderful museum called The Gale Center the day after Memorial Day. A BIG thank you to my cousin's wife, Rochelle, for telling us about this little hidden gem in South Jordan, UT. It is a FREE historical Children's Museum. It was small, but fairly impressive as museums go, but since it is FREE, it is simply awesome! They have some great displays from turn of the century Utah: a Tepee & buffalo head, a school house, a farm house, a farm yard, a general store, etc, etc. The best part is that the kids are welcome and encouraged to play, dress-up and interact with the displays. We met up with my sister & her 3 girls and one of my best friends and her son. We all had a terrific time.
I took a ton of pictures -- it was all so stinkin cute!
I'll share some of them here.
The boys fishing for the catch of the day.
Sadie taking care of the dogs & cats.
Sadie milking a cow.
Renae taking a turn. I began to wish we had chores like this at home for the kids!
Colby driving the old truck to work on the farm.
Sadie whipping up some dinner. Do I see pie? Yummy.
This picture CRACKS me up. I can't look at it without laughing.
This is Colby with a skunk. I guess this is the face he would make if he ever found a skunk?!?
Renae gathering eggs from the hen house.
Mason working at the General Store. They had tons of play food to "purchase."
If you brought in a basketful of eggs you gathered from the chickens...
they would pay you for them in candy! So fun.
Mason working the cash register.
Josh and Colby in a sack-race
Rachael's girls hanging up the wash on the line.
The whole gang (minus Colby -- he was having a stubborn moment).
Having class time in the old schoolroom. The kids were amazed by the desks.
Posing by the stagecoach.
Interesting fact we learned: there were always 2 people riding up front --
one was holding the reins and the other was holding the shotgun to protect them from bandits.
That is where the term "shotgun" came from -- in reference to riding in the front seat.
Next time someone "calls shotgun" you can pull out that little fact.
A pioneer dugout
Okay -- I have a dozen more adorable pictures, but I'll stop now. See, I told you it was wonderful. I loved watching my kids engrossed in a different era and really getting into the creative play. I wish they did that more often -- well they do play creatively at home but usually about dragons or ninjas or lions not milking cows, hanging laundry and fishing. It was so refreshing.
If you will be in the Salt Lake area and have small children-- I would put this on your To-Do list.
1 comment:
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it so much. It really is a cool place, especially because its free!
Post a Comment