Monday, June 6, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend - Part 1

We had a great trip down to Utah for Memorial Day Weekend. Eric stayed home doing homework while the kids and I made the trip down. It is only 4 hours, but I still don't enjoy being the driver. However, it was worth it.

Note: this blog post is full of family details that may be boring to anyone but family. So feel free to skip it if you aren't related, at least distantly, to me. Although you still might want to see the cute pictures below!

We stayed with my sister in Provo. The kids had so much fun just being with their cousins. We had a family dinner with my Grandparents and my brother & his family Saturday night. Shame on me for not pulling out the camera.

Sunday was church and another visit with my Grandparents. I love & admire them so much. I want my kids to have every opportunity to get to know them as much as they can. It was great to have some one-on-one time with them at their home. I even managed to get my kids to sing a song and play some piano pieces for them.

Then that evening we headed down to Payson for a Memorial gathering/cemetery visit with my dad's mom's side of the family. I recognized a few, but really didn't know any of them. But it was amazing to see so many distant relatives and to see the resting place of generations of my ancestors. Unfortunately it was pouring rain (classic cemetery weather, I know) but we were quickly soaked half way up our legs from walking in the grass. We were searching for Evaline (the woman who Renae's middle name came from) but eventually gave up. We were just too cold. We know she is there and we'll find her another time. We headed to a pavilion for our potluck. It was dry but still cold (picture below). It was inspiring to me how many family members came to pay their respects and learn a little bit more about their family history. My Great-Aunt Arlene even gave me a packet of family tree type information about my ancestors.


Monday was Memorial Day and we headed up to Salt Lake City for another cemetery gathering -- this time for my dad's dad's side of the family. It was a smaller group, but I know them a bit better. We still had off and on drizzling rain, but not too bad. At the cemetery there they have free food, drinks and face painting (pictured below). I was hoping to see more of my cousins, but sadly, only one could make it. Still we had a good time catching up (well his wife and I did) and I got to see a couple aunts and uncles that I don't often see.



Face painters at a cemetery -- is that common???
But she was REALLY good!

Later that afternoon I went to visit my uncle Weldon in the hospital (he'd had a recent surgery) and then went on a shopping trip with my brother & his wife. My sister as always was a wonderful hostess. And the sun FINALLY came out on Monday afternoon and the kids got some outdoor playtime at long last! We had another family dinner with my brother & his wife and baby. I really do love spending time with all my family!

Tramp time!

Renae with my sister's pet bunny

Kenny & his royal baby -- Shiloh

Colby climbing in Rach's backyard

Amazing what you can pack into ONE weekend! Tuesday we drove home but first stopped and spent a few hours at the amazing Gale Center in South Jordan -- but that will be a whole other post :) Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Day Family Blog said...

Looks like so much fun despite the rain. It is funny because I never even realized there was a climbable tree in Rach's backyard... none of my children would dare try. That museum looks like a lot of fun. I wish we could have come down and had fun with you all!

Wendy said...

I missed doing the cemetery this year and wish we could have seen you! I'm glad you had a good trip down. Those face painters are really cool!