We stayed in Portland with Eric's cousin Keith, his wife Arianne and their 2 kids. This was the first place we'd stayed that had kids. Hooray! They were great hosts and we had a good mix of relaxing and sight-seeing.
We took a trip out to Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. It is a short, beautiful hike up to the breathtaking falls. This was another place Eric and I had gone on our honeymoon...so more reminiscing about the past.
An attempt at a family picture. Notice Colby was the grumpy one that day.
See the bridge in the background? The next 2 pictures are taken up on the bridge.
Keith (with Kallie on his shoulders) and our gang in front of the falls
The happy honeymooners
Sadie & Kallie are just a few weeks apart in age.
They hit it off from the start and had nonstop fun while we were in Portland
Taking a break on the hike
This was a tree that we had taken a picture in front of 13 years ago
I would love to show you both pictures side-by-side
but that was pre-digital era and I'd have to rummage through countless boxes to find it. Sad.
On Monday we did some things in the suburb where Keith & Arianne live. They had some free tickets to a Miniature Golf/Arcade/JungleGym place. Eric, Mason, Renae and I did the MiniGolf while Arianne and the little kids played on the indoor climbing JungleGym for an hour. It was overcast & cool all morning, but the sun finally came out in the late afternoon and we headed to the park.
Eric won the game -- but I was a very close 2nd.
Mason & Renae had never really played so they were just learning but had lots of fun.
This is at the park just a couple blocks from their house
There had the neatest water features -- the kids were in HEAVEN
Mason was so good with Charlotte
On the other side of the park was a very unique playground
Have you ever seen a teeter totter like this?
This metal slide was so weird. You slid down on cardboard pieces.
The kids had a blast.
I thought this was kind of cute. Wish you could see all the faces better.
I wish I had gotten a picture of all of us. We didn't get any with Arianne --
but here are all the kids.
On our way out of town we stopped at VooDoo Doughnuts.
We had heard about this place on a Food Network show.
They are famous for their crazy doughnut flavors.
They had some cool ones like Cap'n Crunch or Oreo
or Rice Krispy or one shaped like a VooDoo doll.
Sadie got the bubble gum one (pictures above) &
Eric and I tried the Maple w/ Bacon (also pictured above)
It sounds scary...but it was really good. Think pancakes w/ maple syrup & a side of bacon.
Oh and I forgot to mention 2 of my favorite things we did in Portland...stayed up late every night just talking with Keith & Arianne (they are so similar to us in many ways and it was great to just catch up and share life stories) and doing Taste Tests. Keith & Arianne introduced us to the fun of running your own Taste Tests. First we did one for the whole family with rootbeer. We bought 4 kinds & each person got 4 little dixie cups with numbers on them. You had to guess the brand and pick your favorite. It was so fun! By the way, A&W won by a long shot. Then when the kids went to bed we did one just for the adults with chocolate. We had 4 different brands of milk chocolate. Lindt was the unanimous favorite. A silly thing, but it was lots of fun. Thanks guys for being great hosts.






No comments:
Post a Comment