Monday, March 19, 2012

So proud of my Hubby

So I know that kid-bragging is frowned upon on blogs (although we all do it from time to time). What about husband bragging? Is that allowed? Well, I'm gonna do it anyway.

Background: When we decided in 2009 to have Eric go "back to school," I'll be honest, I had my doubts and concerns. Eric's college record had not been stellar. In fact, it was pretty horrid. I was worried that he would get discouraged or distracted or give up. Boy was I wrong. Eric has been the model student. He has balanced school, family, job & church with ease. Did I still get after him and bug him to do his homework?....occasionally, but he really didn't need it. He kept himself organized and on top of things so well. He proved me wrong and made us proud. Now having your family proud of you is a great thing, but it is also nice when you are recognized for your achievements from those besides your loved ones.

So I just wanted to share this email that Eric received today. I hope he doesn't mind :)


"Congratulations!  The Brigham Young University-Idaho, Business Management Department is pleased to announce that you have received the Winter 2012 Newel K. Whitney Scholar Award.  Please join us for the Newel K. Whitney award ceremony on Tuesday, April 3 from 2-3 p.m. in MC 368.

The Newel K. Whitney Award is in memory of the early church member who used his gifts, talents and means to build the kingdom of God. Whitney was innovative, frugal, and honest—a true entrepreneur. Additionally, Whitney was able to improve his business yet remain loyal to the Church despite hard times. “He was a successful businessman, a presiding bishop of the Church, a prominent civic official, and a notable member of his community.” (D. Michael Quinn, “The Newel K Whitney Family,” Ensign, Dec. 1978, 42.)

This award is given to students who have displayed similar traits which Newel K. Whitney possessed.  Specifically, students are honored for their character, diligence, and desire to build the Kingdom of God.  Selected students are nominated by Business Management faculty who feel the student represents the Church, University, and Department as an exemplary employable quality graduate."

Isn't that nice?! In my humble opinion -- I think that describes Eric perfectly -- innovative, honest, loyal, and an entrepreneur are all character traits that Eric has. We are so proud of you honey and I hope you don't mind that I wanted to share that news with our family and friends.

9 comments:

Debbie Lawrence said...

Um yes...that is severely awesome! Great Job Eric! And really anyone who loves Eric would not be annoyed by you bragging about him. :) That really is so cool...I am so proud! :)

Linda Cameron said...

Thank you, Heather, for putting this on your blog. I wish I had known in advance (which is ridiculous), because I would have loved to see him get the award. I concur with every description of my son. You have been a good wife for him. The two of you have created a wonderful family. I love you, Eric! I'm so very proud of your determination and achievements.

Rachael said...

That's so cool. Way to go Eric! Way to brag Heather!

Rochelle Brunson said...

That is so freaking cool. How could you not brag about that?! Good for Eric!

weldie said...

We're proud of you too, Eric! Actually of the whole family! We're still keeping our fingers crossed that you get a job in Utah!

Day Family Blog said...

That is awesome. I think that you should "accidentally" forward that email to his old BYU boss!

Wendy said...

That is something worth writing down,remembering and sharing! He is going to make some employer VERY LUCKY!!!

Lowell said...

Eric, you are amazing. Congratulations! As I'm hoping too go back to school soon, I'm very worried about my (lack of) ability to focus intensely on school without getting sidetracked. Perhaps we could talk soon, and you could throw me all your pointers? :) Good job!

Grannie said...

Eric, we are so proud of you. While we are still sad that you moved so far away from us, you have really put your shoulder to the wheel and done a wonderful job up there. Going back to school is not easy, but you are proof that it can be done, and done well. Congratulations on realizing your goal and dream of a college degree. You're an awesome student, husband, father, and son.