Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Bonus

I don't know that I've ever worked somewhere that has given Christmas bonuses. Maybe a small gift from a principal or something...I think Eric used to get a ham at work. Well this year at work he got a card and inside was a slip of paper saying that a Christmas Bonus in the following amount had been deposited in his bank account. The amount was $10. Yep, TEN BUCKS. I know I should be grateful for anything, but that seems like such a pathetically small sum. Turns out, they don't do it on merit or how hard you work your tail off, or if your boss likes you --  it goes by length of time with the company. I think he said it starts at $10 and goes up in increments of $5 a year. Wow. So in a couple decades or so, he'll be getting a nice Christmas bonus.

But the story doesn't end there. I have been working at my job for about a month now. (I think I've put in 23 days). Remember that I only work for 1.75 hours a day. Don't get me wrong, I think what I do is valuable and meaningful. It is real work. But compared to the 11 hour days that Eric has been pulling this holiday season and the Saturdays he has had to work (with no extra pay), my job is pretty insignificant. Well I was checking my online bank account the other day and saw a deposit that I didn't recognize. Upon further investigation, I found that it was a check labeled "Bonus Pay". For me. From my employer. Ready for this....$77!!! Shocking. Especially since I haven't even received a first paycheck yet, and my paycheck won't be much more than that. I asked another Aide at school today and she confirmed, yep, that's my Christmas bonus.

Do I laugh? Cry? Do a victory dance? Console my crushed husband? Oh, the cruel irony. He was actually a really good sport and just laughed and laughed. He also had a few snarky comments about working for the government and how they manage money... I just chuckled and smiled.

What a classic "Life Isn't Fair" moment. I think we'll be using this story to teach our children that valuable life lesson for years and years to come. "Life's not fair...remember the story of the Christmas Bonuses"...it kind of has a nice ring to it.

3 comments:

Rochelle Brunson said...

I'm sorry, but HOLY CRAP! $10 seems like a slap in the face! I would be so mad. And a $5 increase per year....That is ridiculous! A ham costs more than that! You are a better person than me because I would throw a fit over that. Especially if he is putting in tons of extra hours. What a joke!

Brian and Janette said...

I was thinking the same thing about the government and their money managing skills and then read about Eric's comments. :) Not to say that you don't deserve it, or that teacher's in general don't deserve it...because they do! But $10? Seriously?!?! Quite insulting, really. Tickets to a movie would've been more appropriate. Or even nothing at all, really.... So sorry for that, but yay! for unexpected bonuses!

Rachael said...

LOL! that's a crazy story. But you just made me realize that Ismael doesn't get bonuses anymore. :( He used to get them quarterly at Nestle, based on company profits or something. But the laugh will be on you when you see how small those school paychecks are. I was always amazed at how little I got when it was a daily struggle in my life to do that little job.