Is there any truth to this saying? Any at all? I am appealing to the nurses, doctors, or other medically/scientifically educated people out there. Is there really any DANGER of catching a cold (or anything else) if you choose not to bundle up when it is cold outside?
The reason I am asking is because I have two children who fight, argue, and refuse to wear a coat to school. Yes, they pull on a hoodie and have a long sleeve shirt on underneath, but not a coat. They claim they are not cold. I just want to know if this is a medical issue and I need to be strong and insist -- pulling out some parenting consequences or threats -- or if this is just a power struggle that I can choose to ignore and let natural consequences do their job. They will be cold. Or not.
I can't imagine not putting a coat on when it is 30 degrees outside, but my 12 year old insists that it "isn't that cold" and that he is fine. Do I let him "listen to his body" and make this decision since it really is his body or do I force the issue? I know that frost bite is a real ithing, but I think he is smart enough to know when it is that cold. He puts his hands in his pockets and keeps moving as he endures the mile walk to school. Maybe it is a test of his manhood, that I just can't understand.
SO...if there is no health risk involved, I think I'm going to "pick my battles" and just let this one be. But if someone can show, tell, or convince me that my child's health is going to be compromised by not wearing a coat (even if it is below freezing outside) then I will dig in and prepare to go to battle.
3 comments:
Sorry, no scientific expertise here, but that would drive me crazy! Tessia is kind of like that too. I can still make her put the coat on in the morning, but she comes home with it stuffed in her backpack, no matter how cold. I didn't know Mason was walking to school though! He ought to be feeling it at that temp on that long of a walk, but maybe he goes fast and gets warmed up.
Nope. Cold air does NOT make you sick. Neither does wet hair in the cold. Just old wives' tales. Being cold for long periods of time, however, is stressful to the body. Stress can increase the chances of illness. A mile walk to school in 30 degree weather? Not worth arguing about! :)
Cold does not make you sick, but prolonged exposure can weaken your immune system making you more vulnerable to catching someone else's cold. Kids are so warm bodied and active I think they are OK.
Post a Comment